Looking for something like the J5040-ITX, but available now

HaxNobody

n00b
I really want to build my new NVR/NAS box using the Asrock J5040-ITX board, but it hasn't been released yet. Can you guys help me find the next best option that would have equivalent or better performance without breaking the bank? I'm less concerned about the power draw, but keeping it low would be helpful. Must have minimum 4x SATA ports, and a 5th SATA if there is no M.2 available for the OS drive.

I've been wondering about some of the cheaper AMD processors, but I don't know how well some of them compare.

Anyone?
I know the board I mentioned above is only 10 watts, but I can probably go as high as 40 watts or so without having cooling issues in my chassis.

the older J5005 is the closest i can find. and there is a big note on their site "may not be available world wide"...

the older J5005 is the closest i can find. and there is a big note on their site "may not be available world wide"...
Yeah, not only is it fairly old, but it seems to be out of stock lately. Problem is, I don't really know my low-end parts that well, so I'm having a hard time doing comparisions.

Interesting board - not sure how that SoC compares to the J5005 or J5040? However, it has only 2x SATA ports and no expansion for me to add an HBA card.

It was a quick post... but do look at all the offerings from the ASUS industrial division... maybe there's something there. I figured going back a generation would help with real availability.

It was a quick post... but do look at all the offerings from the ASUS industrial division... maybe there's something there. I figured going back a generation would help with real availability.
Yes, thanks for pointing me in that direction. Although their site kind of sucks, I've discovered some interesting embedded AMD options, some of which have a PCIe slot that I could use an HBA on.
https://www.asrockind.com/overview.asp?Model=IMB-V1000
https://www.asrockind.com/overview.asp?Model=IMB-R1000
https://www.asrockind.com/overview.asp?Model=IMB-A1000
^^ All look fairly interesting and I will try to evaluate them more on their merits, pricing, and availability.

Is it not an option to just get a used CPU from a mining rig on ebay, and pretty much any regular ITX board to put it in?

Is it not an option to just get a used CPU from a mining rig on ebay, and pretty much any regular ITX board to put it in?
Possibly, but I have to keep in mind the TDP because this is going in a very small 4-bay cube case from supermicro, which only has one fan. I don't want to push it too high and affect stability, which is why I was targeting newer/more efficient stuff. Like I said, I honestly don't know how to compare this embedded stuff to the usual deskop and mobile parts that I'm used to comparing.

I went ahead and just got the J5005-ITX, as far as I can tell the board itself will be essentially the same, and the difference will just be in the refreshed CPU. In any case, it's lightyears ahead of the D2550 that is in the stock NVR.

I went ahead and just got the J5005-ITX, as far as I can tell the board itself will be essentially the same, and the difference will just be in the refreshed CPU. In any case, it's lightyears ahead of the D2550 that is in the stock NVR.

Let us know how the project/build goes (pros and cons and details!)

Here's an update for your interest. I decided to install an LSI 9211-8i HBA in IT mode, which will control the 4x 2TB HGST drives. For the OS (and /var/lib/unifi-video MongoDB database) I decided to get a single Kingston DC500M 480GB SSD, which is an enterprise drive that has PLP. It will be connected to the Intel SATA port on the motherboard. I won't have a ZIL/SLOG or L2ARC - just straight through writes and reads.

I haven't decided whether to go with RAIDZ or RAIDZ2. On one hand, a majority of the data is video files that aren't as critical, but on the other hand I have some important data that I want to keep on the NAS partition and I want it to be safer. I'm installing Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS for testing now, but as soon as 20.04 LTS is released I am going to nuke and rebuild.

Back