Looking for some quality Hard drives to update my laptop

JC724

Weaksauce
So my current laptop has two NVME Slots as well as a bay for a 2.5” Drive (HDD or SSD). Note that one NVME slot has the wireless card in it.

1 of the NVME Slots are used at 1TB.

Can you guys post some quality Drives (Links), that I can look at.

I can buy to add to my laptop within $200 per device?

Would like another 1 - 3 TBs. for NVMe

And 1 - 3 TBs for 2.5" SSD.

I am still learning about this stuff, if you can tell me the difference between NVMe vs NVMe wireless vs 2.5" SSD. That would be cool to. I am more so interested in quality brands for good pricing though.

What height is your 2.5 bay, I'm noticing a lot of laptop makers moving to 7mm for their bays.

I think 2TB is the maximum capacity ATM for spinners at 7mm, don't know about 9mm.

I bought a Seagate Barracuda 2tb at Amazon for about $100 a month or 2 ago for a future laptop, it's now currently $75.

They also make m.2 caddies for 2.5 bays that can carry up to 2 drives.

Edit, derp, didn't notice you wanted SSDs.

First, do you have a budget? The Samsing Evo series (both SATA and NVME) is very popular, has a long warranty (5years v. 3 years for cheaper products) and consistently out performs most other brands in benchmarks. Having said that, I would also add that they are more expensive than other brands and . . . now hear this l . . . you won't notice hardly any real world performance difference between one SSD and another unless you are moving large files, which most of us don't do very often. Most of the performance advantage of SSDs over spinner hard drives has to do with the enormously better "seek times" of SSD technology over spinner technology. Know also that cheaper SSDs tend to slant their memory controller algorithms toward fast read speeds at the expense of fast write speeds. Since most of our computing involves reading/retrieving data that is not a big deal either for most people. So in summary, any SSD will blow the doors off any spinner hard drive and their are only minor differences in performance between SSDs. With SSDs, perhaps the most important issue is length of warranty.

The term SSD covers both SATA and PCIe/NVME "flash" storage. PCIe/NVME SSDs outperform SATA SSDs but the difference is mostly noticeable in boot times. Both will give fast boots compared to spinners but PCIe/NVME technology typically gives quicker boot times than does SATA. Once you are in Windows you won't notice much difference in most computing scenarios and there will be no advantage of PCIe/NVME in gaming.

Not sure about "wireless" NVME but I'm guessing it applies to using the m.2 slot for a Wifi adapter rather than a storage drive.

Finally, if you are using multiple drives in the laptop and mixing PCIe/NVME with SATA you need to research how your motherboard handles this with regard to availability of data lanes. Many motherboards will disable some SATA ports when one or more PCIe/NVME storage devices are connected.

So my current laptop has two NVME Slots as well as a bay for a 2.5” Drive (HDD or SSD). Note that one NVME slot has the wireless card in it.

1 of the NVME Slots are used at 1TB.

So we have this straight, and no confusion... Both of your NVMe slots are currently populated and you're looking to get rid of your wireless card, or replace your current 1TB? or Both?
Would like another 1 - 3 TBs. for NVMe

https://hardforum.com/threads/xpg-sx8200-pro-2tb-nvme-gen3x4-pcie-m-2-ssd-247-amazon.1999441/

And 1 - 3 TBs for 2.5" SSD.

I am still learning about this stuff, if you can tell me the difference between NVMe vs NVMe wireless vs 2.5" SSD. That would be cool to. I am more so interested in quality brands for good pricing though.

As far as performance goes NVMe>SATA (usually) ... THere's much more to delve into, but... ugh...
NVMe wireless is your wireless NIC, that's how you wirelessly connect to your network.

Back