Looking for some bookshelves

tboneDX

n00b
I'm looking to get a pair of bookshelf speakers for my dorm room. Right now I have my Xbox360, PS3, Wii, and PC (soundblaster x-fi fatality) all connected to a Denon AVR-1907. My budget is about 300-500 for a pair, but I'm not sure if this is reasonable. Let me know your recommendations. I might also need a good set of stands for the speakers as I am running out of desk space. While I'm at it, I might also want some way of stacking my consoles on top of my receiver without causing it to overheat. Let me know anything you can think of, thanks.

300-500?

That's a very good budget.

I would look at the AVS Reference 1 for only $499. That is a killer bookshelf that used to sell for $1200, sale is this month only.

Another bookshelf would be the Von Schweikert VR1 used. Killer musical piece, good sound throughout the spectrum.

check out the x-series from av123. They are great speakers for the price and look great. You could go with the x-ls for bookshelves or the x-mtm for tower. The mtm's would be my choice because they have the extra bass that i like without the need for a sub. although you can always add some with a sub as well

Those x-ls ones look to be a really good value for what I will use them for. The only thing holding me back from the ref 1's is the fact that the black ones are still $1500, and the light wood ones would clash with my wooden desk. Any other suggestions? 220 seems a really reasonable price. Oh, anyone know what some good speaker stands would be? I'm out of room on top of the desk.

Thanks again.

Those x-ls ones look to be a really good value for what I will use them for. The only thing holding me back from the ref 1's is the fact that the black ones are still $1500, and the light wood ones would clash with my wooden desk. Any other suggestions? 220 seems a really reasonable price. Oh, anyone know what some good speaker stands would be? I'm out of room on top of the desk.

Thanks again.

Who cares about clashing when you're getting a $1500 speaker for $499??

It's not even that light... the rosewood Ref1 is the same wood as on the XLS.

If you get the XLS instead of the Ref1 (provided you have the disposable income), someone needs to bonk you on the head.

This is from a guy who's owned/had lots of experience with those two.

Monitor Audio B2s

Quad Lites

Dynaudio Audience 42s

B&W new 600 series bookshelves

Totem Acoustic Rainmakers are excellent too.

... I wouldn't buy direct from online without hearing them. Sure, many people sing their praises, but do yourself a favor (especially as a first time buyer I'm guessing) and go listen to some speakers at an AUDIO SHOP (as opposed to Best Buy).

There are literally dozens of great brands that would serve your purpose.

Who cares about clashing when you're getting a $1500 speaker for $499??

It's not even that light... the rosewood Ref1 is the same wood as on the XLS.

If you get the XLS instead of the Ref1 (provided you have the disposable income), someone needs to bonk you on the head.

This is from a guy who's owned/had lots of experience with those two.
As soon as I saw your post, I had to check out that incredible deal. I was reaching for my MasterCard when I noticed the fine print:

" For a limited time get the Reference 1 LE (Rosewood finish) Loudspeakers - normally $1200 per pair - for only $499 per pair! In order to get these prices you must buy a minimum of 3 speakers… no less (as in one pair plus one center for example)"

So, you don't get the deal if you just want a pair of Reference 1 LE. :( It's still a helluva price if you're in the market for some bookshelves and a center or sub.

As soon as I saw your post, I had to check out that incredible deal. I was reaching for my MasterCard when I noticed the fine print:

" For a limited time get the Reference 1 LE (Rosewood finish) Loudspeakers - normally $1200 per pair - for only $499 per pair! In order to get these prices you must buy a minimum of 3 speakers… no less (as in one pair plus one center for example)"

So, you don't get the deal if you just want a pair of Reference 1 LE. :( It's still a helluva price if you're in the market for some bookshelves and a center or sub.

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=stock&product=16.1

if you don't mind them being in rosewood and b-stock

Back