Looking for small android tablet with NO BATTERY...

Ashton

2[H]4U
I don't know why... maybe its the climate where I live, maybe its some irregularity in the power grid, or maybe the house is built on an ancient native-American burial mound... but... every time I leave a smart device plugged in permanently, within ~6 months its battery swells and then, annoyingly, it will no longer turn on because I removed the battery.

I have been keeping my old deactivated Note next to my bed for all the usual reasons, but in the last couple of years, I've had to replace the battery no less than 4 times... (and no its not that 1 outlet, this has happened to all modern smartphones/tablets I've left plugged in --- I turned off my landline and used Skype as a "house phone" and all 4 phones I left plugged in for it ultimately had swelled batteries - including iPhones.)

So, I'm looking for a small (preferably 7-inch, though I don't mind a little smaller/larger) Android tablet with no built-in battery. I don't care too much about specs as long as it is at least 720p and can run apps like Skype, VLC-remote, Chrome, Netflix, and PLEX --- and won't be "incompatible" with the next few years of updates.

I am open to the idea of something like a Pi+touchscreen as long as it works well, doesn't end up too bulky/expensive and doesn't require a lot of soldering my own connections.

Suggestions?

Get an outlet timer? Plug it in, set timer for x hours?

It's hard to find even a portable laptop with replaceable batteries anymore. :(

Get an outlet timer? Plug it in, set timer for x hours?

It's hard to find even a portable laptop with replaceable batteries anymore. :(

While I can think of so many ways that could go wrong in the long run, that is a BRILLIANT idea for a quick-fix! :D since the note 2 has a decent battery life, I could easily do that. I'm still wanting to get a different device to permanently fix this, but for now, that's a great idea!

Also... for *some* laptops, I don't mind the battery being internal --- as many people have shown, making a laptop battery removable adds (relatively) a large amount of mass to the device (isolated battery compartment, protective case around the battery cells, etc) so for devices like my own ultrabook, I feel it's an acceptable trade-off to get a larger battery. But when you get into the bulkier laptops and ESPECIALLY the desktop replacements I feel like it's just a way to cut costs and make most of the world replace their devices more often (even though most of us here on [H] could replace an internal battery easily and within an hour, the general population is terrified of opening the case even to upgrade an HDD or RAM which is MEANT to be easily swapped out) BUT for phones and tablets, that's just inexcusable in any case except for industrial/scientific equipment (that's a whole 'nother can of worms and CAN be justified depending on the application)

The garden timer is an excellent idea. Keeping lithium-ion batteries charged to 100% all the time is nearly a sure-fire way to burn them up, as they do not handle this use case well at all. No Indian burial ground required. Maximizing their lifespan means running them between 20% & 80% with enough calculus to make you take up cabinetry. but definitely don't keep them at 100% all the time.

Dump your note and get a J3. I've left mine plugged in at 100% for over two years straight without any battery swelling or other issues.

Back