Looking for slot cooler for SLI

Pegi

Limp Gawd
I have an Asus A8NSLI Premium motherboard with two 7800 GTX in SLI. GPU temps have been really high when playing FEAR (90C). This is a fairly new computer (one month old Velocity Micro 4800+). I'm not that technically adept but I can handle adding a fan in an expansion slot. Can someone recommend one of these things (never bought one before)...would hopefully like to put it BETWEEN the video cards (assuming that is possible), between the SLI bridge. Failing that, the only other slot I have available would be between the bottom video card and the sound card, and I'm not sure that's gonna net me a whole lot of benefit. Cooling is the main goal here. I don't care how noisy it is; I don't care how much it costs; just size, I guess, is a factor if it's gonna fit between the two video cards. I have a Zalman Heatsink with Arctic Silver 5 compound and a 600 watt Enermax PSU with dual fans and I'm still not cool enough. Could use some help from you guys but need simple installation; I'm just not that handy with tools...Peggy

A slot blower might help, but you gotta look at the overall picture too -- is there enough cool air coming in through the front of the case, and is there enough hot air being removed from the case with the rear exhaust fans? I'd make sure the rear exhaust fans are fast enough, first and foremost.

I've sent Velocity an email asking them for the tech specs of the fans; I don't really know what speed they are. Right now, just cruising the net and doing nothing else, my temps are: CPU 37, System 36, GPU1 47, GPU2 46. I hadn't documented the CPU and system temps during Fear time...got too freaked when I saw the 90C GPU temps...but will make note of them tonight.

Meanwhile, if anyone does know of a slot fan that would fit in between the video cards (these are eVGA cards), understanding that space between them is limited and perhaps this option won't work, I'd sure appreciate the help.

Do this. Tweakmonster makes a pci fan bracket that will mount 2x80mm fans or 1x120mm fan over the side of your two cards. You can then remove the pci slot covers from the unused slots in between your two cards. This will put tons of air over the cards and push it out the back of your case through the open slots.

EnJoY, took a look at Tweakmonster. The fan brackets look great and look like it will do exactly what I need. But I'm not sure I can handle doing this on my own. I'm just not that technically minded. I'll keep looking for something simpler (I can handle just slipping something into an expansion slot) but will keep Tweakmonster in mind if/when I can get someone to give me a hand with it.

I use these 2 fine sluts right here (Antec VGA Blowers)
dsc03801.jpg

Enjoy is right, that is clearly your best option. Don't sweat it bud, you can handle it no prob. :)

Back