Looking for PC Repair Tools

Lyell Wolf

n00b
I'm looking for a decent repair tool for computer work that I'm planning to do on the side. I need it to run diagnostics and virus removals. I'd also like it to have a few side tools for generic repairs.
I've looked into:
PC doctor (But it doesn't have virus removal from what I've seen).
EasyRE
Hirens Boot
Don't have an issue paying for the program since I intend to make my money back.

I use free tools that are available and it's never been an issue. If you're going to do this as a business you need to protect yourself with contacts/waivers and possibly a business license/insurance.

It's not for me. I'm going to pick up this work with a company that basically contracts it out to people who are signed up in the area. It's kind of like über.
Second job to help pay the bills.

So, my advice is: contact other people that do contract work for that company - the company should be able to ask those people to contact you if they don't want to give out the info, they can pass your number or contact info to the contractors - and see what the other contractors use to do their jobs. That's my best advice, find out what your co-workers are using and then put together your own "emergency rescue CD/DVD/USB stick/portable hard drive/etc"

If you need some more research info, there's always 911cd.net which is one of the best sources for information about creating such tools for your use.

Another great source for general anti-virus/imaging/security issues and info is Wilders Security Forums as well, been frequenting that place for a long long time and it's a treasure trove of info if you're willing to put in the time to do the research.

So, my advice is: contact other people that do contract work for that company - the company should be able to ask those people to contact you if they don't want to give out the info, they can pass your number or contact info to the contractors - and see what the other contractors use to do their jobs. That's my best advice, find out what your co-workers are using and then put together your own "emergency rescue CD/DVD/USB stick/portable hard drive/etc"

If you need some more research info, there's always 911cd.net which is one of the best sources for information about creating such tools for your use.

Another great source for general anti-virus/imaging/security issues and info is Wilders Security Forums as well, been frequenting that place for a long long time and it's a treasure trove of info if you're willing to put in the time to do the research.

Sounds like a decent idea, thanks for the links.

What is it you're trying to actually do?
Some utilities I like:
RKill - rootkit removal
TDSSKiller - rootkit removal
Spybot search and destroy - malware/virus removal
Malwarebytes - malware/virus removal

That combo run in succession usually gets everything

Need something that also runs diags. My biggest issue is when I had a bootable drive, it would only work in legacy.

Or, as stated previously, figure out what the person needs/wants and let them make their own customized disc instead of just accepting what someone else decided should be on such a thing. ;)

Or, as stated previously, figure out what the person needs/wants and let them make their own customized disc instead of just accepting what someone else decided should be on such a thing. ;)

Tried making one in a bootable environment but had an issue with booting into anything but legacy. Not saying I've given up on trying to make one, but I was looking for other options as well.

how would you go about doing that?
Do they make some sort of utility you could use to create a bootable environment and add whatever utilities you want? I know some coding in python but no idea how I would go about creating a bootable environment...

Look up WinPE

That forum I provided a link to - the 911cd.net one - has all the info, guides out the ying-yang, and the tools needed to get those types of tools created. The info is out there, it takes time and effort and trial and error but if you stick with it you can end up with your own personalized product that works best for you.

If you're just looking for someone to hand you a tool and say "Have at it..." sure those exist and some of them have been noted already but, for me personally, I've never found such a tool that did exactly what I wanted it to do because someone else created it - there was always something missing or too many tools/utilities that I simply had no use for that were better replaced by those I needed/required.

Here has a bunch of free tools but you are not going to find an all-in-one app. For viruses I would just run Avira Rescue boot disk.

Tweaking.com

Back