Looking for nV HQ vs. ATi HQ-AF benches

Jodiuh said:
So what the heck does CAT AI actually do? :confused:

To my understanding it pick up applications when they start and apply application specific optimizations to it. Back in the day these Optimizations were called Cheating with big voice. Nowdays they are pretty much standard stuff, but people still raise their voices when these optimizations clearly degrage IQ.

[rant]
Which is ofcourse a good thing (raising voice part), I mean how can you advertize your product to produce Movie like graphics and at the same time lower your cards IQ with optimizations to have more FPS.

Competition is tough as you have to produce best IQ and best speed, which have lead to optimizations and the situation today.
[/rant]

a-lamer said:
To my understanding it pick up applications when they start and apply application specific optimizations to it. Back in the day these Optimizations were called Cheating with big voice. Nowdays they are pretty much standard stuff, but people still raise their voices when these optimizations clearly degrage IQ.

[rant]
Which is ofcourse a good thing (raising voice part), I mean how can you advertize your product to produce Movie like graphics and at the same time lower your cards IQ with optimizations to have more FPS.

Competition is tough as you have to produce best IQ and best speed, which have lead to optimizations and the situation today.
[/rant]

Cat AI doesnt degrade IQ though, just read the reviews.. Its bascially free performance with no hit to IQ unlike nvidias optimisation. :)

Shock_Hunter said:
Cat AI doesnt degrade IQ though, just read the reviews.. Its bascially free performance with no hit to IQ unlike nvidias optimisation. :)

If it doesn't affect IQ and it speeds up the game, it shouldn't be an option. And without that extra option, we can finally fit all the goodies into the regular control panel, right ATI?! :D

Jodiuh said:
If it doesn't affect IQ and it speeds up the game, it shouldn't be an option. And without that extra option, we can finally fit all the goodies into the regular control panel, right ATI?! :D

Your right, its really shouldnt be an available option, allot of the reviews ask the very same question... Try reading them..

Shock_Hunter said:
It does if you put it on "Advanced". IIRC, "Standard" constitutes no IQ hit but a performance increase.

So Nvidia's HQ = ATI's Cat AI "Standard".

Something I don't understand is why reviews don't set Nvidia cards to HQ, for an apples-to-apples comparison (or as close as you can get to it). Will [H] continue to benchmark Geforce cards with lower IQ settings, or are there any plans to change?

a-lamer said:
To my understanding it pick up applications when they start and apply application specific optimizations to it.

Thats not all it does. There are some games that have had issues when you force AA via the controll pannel. So in this case Cat AI disabled AA on those games if it detects them running. I have heard there are other such tweaks that dont effect the speed or IQ as well but have no idea if tahts true or what those are.

Shock_Hunter said:
Bullshit. There's texture crawling everywhere in GTA Vice City (at least with a Radeon 9800 Pro, don't know about others) with "AI" on. :(

Geez already. The Ati x1k series is the first one to allow angle independent AF in a long time. x800's, the 9000 series etc... wrong thread. Easy on the hormones you've missed something.

1c3d0g said:
Bullshit. There's texture crawling everywhere in GTA Vice City (at least with a Radeon 9800 Pro, don't know about others) with "AI" on. :(

Thats nothing to do with the cards, GTA:SA does that regardless of the settings you use.. It shimmers the same on both cards. I know this because I've tried both. :D

So next time, do some research before posting.. :p

Sc4freak said:
It does if you put it on "Advanced". IIRC, "Standard" constitutes no IQ hit but a performance increase.

So Nvidia's HQ = ATI's Cat AI "Standard".

Something I don't understand is why reviews don't set Nvidia cards to HQ, for an apples-to-apples comparison (or as close as you can get to it). Will [H] continue to benchmark Geforce cards with lower IQ settings, or are there any plans to change?

Well the advanced option is somewhat irrelevant as its not the default, although having that enabled with Quality set down one notch might be equal to nvidias IQ. :D

Good comparison I'd say. I think that it pretty much spells out what is up with the 2 cards.

Driver wise Ive got a Nvidia PC and an ATi PC right next to each other and i dont think one is horrible at all. The Nvidia CP loads faster but its not leaps and bounds faster even when comparing my old system in sig to an Intel P4 (478) at 3.2ghzHT with a Gig of DDR3200Ram.

{NG}Fidel said:
Driver wise Ive got a Nvidia PC and an ATi PC right next to each other and i dont think one is horrible at all.
When people refer to nVidia drivers being superior, I always assume they run Linux. There is no contest in regards to Linux with driver superiority.

{NG}Fidel said:
Driver wise Ive got a Nvidia PC and an ATi PC right next to each other and i dont think one is horrible at all. The Nvidia CP loads faster but its not leaps and bounds faster even when comparing my old system in sig to an Intel P4 (478) at 3.2ghzHT with a Gig of DDR3200Ram.

Try using them with a hdtv you will see where the nvidia's shine and the ati's fade.

And i'm not talking about trying them for 6 hours each.

Not to mention non-TSR gaming profiles.

Back