Looking for new headset and speakers

manwich

Weaksauce
So I just built a new system, and I'm looking for decent headset and speakers. I don't have a soundcard, I plan on just using the onboard audio from my ASUS Z87 sabertooth mobo. Here's what I'm looking at purchasing:

ASUS Orion Pro Headset - $109.99
Creative GigaWorks T20 speakers - $89.99

This is about the most cash I would dish out for each (around $100). The Orion Pros I heard was a pretty good all-around headset, and the speakers I don't care as much about since I'll probably be using the headset more but I thought these were a good choice for the price.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Yea I changed my mind with the headset, and went ahead and bought the Sennheiser 439 headphones. Later on I'll buy the Antlion modmic to attach to that for the microphone. The speakers just came in today.

Now I would like to get a soundcard. I'm not sure how much sound quality I can get out of the speakers I bought, but I prefer wearing headphones anyway. So what soundcard would be a good choice for headphones? Or are my headphones not high quality enough to benefit much from a soundcard?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Creative Z is a good one. It also has a separate plug in for the headphones and speakers so you can easily switch bw the two. Your headphones are pretty good. They will sound better with a sound card or a less expensive usb dac/amp.

Congrats on your recent build manwich. I was following your thread in the General Hardware section and you look like you have a very nice rig (I am jealous :D ). The build caught my eye since a friend of mine was building a very similar system to yours, also for video editing.

Regarding the soundcard, even something simple like an ASUS Xonar DG is often an improvement over the stock onboard (though the onboard sound has been getting higher over the years). The Creative Z spaceman suggests is even better if you have the budget to get it and the card sure looks nice. :p

Tell us what you eventually choose for the card.

This is what I did for my 2.0 setup and it sounds pretty good for how inexpensive it is,

Lepai LP-2020A amplifier - $20.49
Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker - $51.99
Total = $72.48

You'll need a 3.5mm to 2 RCA out, or just a 3.5mm to 3.5mm would work as well. You could always purchase a bigger amp too. I wouldn't hesitate to say the 6.5" speakers will sound much better than Creative Gigaworks T20. If space is an issue, I'd get them then.

Here's a picture of them with my setup,

2.0speaker.jpg

Luck.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I will see your $72 2.0 set up

and show you my used /vintage

$67 setup... (I WIN BTW)

Yamaha C60 ($20) > Elan Z660 ($7) > JBL L1s ($40) = $67 of pure F***ing win... for those with the thrill of the hunt and a bit of luck used is just the bomb...

pics

3pe1.jpg

oh and one more 2.0 system $120 ($100 Pioneer SA-710 and $20 B&W V202 speakers).

oh and OP the Dayton's are no longer a good choice used ... you can search and read up on it yourself but dayton changed manufactures and the New B652's are not nearly as good as older ones.

alternative's (new)

Micca Motion MB42's $50~
Polk Audio Monitor 30s $90~ (ebay polk direct)
MORDAUNT SHORT Carnival 1 $99
http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...rnival-1-Bookshelf-Speaker-Cherry-Pair/1.html

the carnival 1's would be my first choice of those probably followed by the Monitor 30s (i have these they are good value speakers) and then 3rd the Micca Motion... they are supposedly pretty decent and they are cheap.

Cool setup. It's just a simple non major space taking setup to use when the 7.1 surround setup is used for turntable/cd player, etc. You don't win anything besides your inflated ego. :rolleyes:

He is just excited and proud.

Also, why the daytons? We haven't been rec them lately.

If possible, get the tweeters more at ear level. This would include tilting with just bits of foam or rubber. You want to aim the tweeters at your ears.

Nice setups! Yeah, like spaceman says, it is unfortunate that the recent B652's sound so poor compared to the old ones. Someone named ZeosPantara posted a comparison and even through Youtube, you can tell the difference. The new Daytons sound like they are playing through a cave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKa2sWztFxo

Too bad too. :(

The first set sounds better from that video. When did they change? I have had mine for 6 months. I do not think they are necessarily bad speakers. My purpose for them is only to be able to hear minor stuff on the computer like in-game sounds if I have the 7.1 system switched over to play some vinyl or something. Otherwise, my computer is playing through the 7.1 system or my Grado RS2i's. So, its not a big deal.

so apparently either

a. people are touchy as fuck today

b. I have a unique gift for ticking people off today...??

whatever ... sorry if any panties became bunched certainly...

granting used gear takes a fair bit of space I was merely trying to show the OP what has been possible for very low dollars building very good sounding used 2.0 set up...

I have a T-amp as well ran it with the JBL's some.. sounds good but on the other hand when I want to turn it up the 120WPC of my $7 Elan Z660 really demonstrates it's pwnage.
my SMSL SA-S3 t-amp sounds good at low / reasonable moderate volumes but runs out of steam if you want to get the whole room rocking...

Back