looking for new headphones - suggestions?

THRESHIN

2[H]4U
my old sony headphones are finally starting to die out. crackling with bass....ugh. had them around 10 years now i think so i can't really complain.

so i'd like some recommendations. i've leaned more towards sony headphones in the past simply due to the fact that i find them well balanced in their sound. i find a lot of headphones are terribly bass heavy and can't do much on the higher end. i listen to a lot of symphonic metal (think nightwish, etc) so i really need a good overall tone range.

these will only be used at my desktop...gaming as well, movies, everything. don't care how loud they go, just want that good tone range. would a good gaming headset be more along my lines?

only thought: have a old xfi sound card. i love the thing, but i find the mic is very quiet. a gaming headset would take care of this, but how would the sound quality be in comparison? any of the eax effects from my xfi (or whatever they call it now) be a concern?

i'm not looking for the high end here guys. just a nice happy medium. i have no want or need to spend $300 on a pair of headphones. $100 sure, but wouldn't want to go too far beyond that. not looking for wireless either, wired will do me just fine.

currently i'm just plugging into an old set of logitech Z5500's....not bad but i think its time for a headphone upgrade:)

Keep an eye over on Amazons lightning deals. Just picked up a pair of Sennheiser 598s for $150.

Sennheiser 558 or 598 will do the trick if you want balanced gaming sound.

took a quick look at those, looks like $200-300 +tax/shipping for me here. any other suggestions that aren't quite so expensive?

lots of variations of the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 at amazon and many other places
choose your color and type.....i got the basic black with non removable straight cord for around 100 on sale......been very happy with it.....looks good, is comfortable, and has nice sound......using it with Creative Sound Blaster Z that has the built in headphone amp.....i would actually be tempted to go with the red if ordering again.....the basic goes on sale every year for around 90 bucks at some point....but its still worth it even at the regular price if in a hurry

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=m50

Interesting review here on a slightly different model
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5DyEYuvF3o

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
being in canada kinda leaves me not as sure of places to go check somestuff out..

but here in the States guitar center carries a pretty good selection of headphones and will match prices as well as (in my experience at least) let you try them out.

I have a number of headphones that i like quite a bit

I own the ATH-M50 mentioned previously ... it has a v-shaped sound signature and has a fair bit of bass (not overwhelming to me but a good bit of bass).

I also own the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80s which i love...

in my case I use the DT770s at home most of the time and the ATH-M50s while out and about.

for $70~ shipped I got a pair of Takstar HD5500's last year I like these the sound is really good but the earcups are a bit on the small side...

I have owned for a long time (before I got all these others) a pair of JVC HA-RX700's which are cheap as chips (mine cost $30) I actually really like the sound from these, many also like the HA-RX900 (semi-open) also.

if you don't need portable headphones for the comfort I'd check out the Beyerdynamic's I reaaally like mine. The M50's are much more portable however.

Back