Asus
AM3 Socket
6 Core Ready out of the box. No flashing
DDR3 support
Nvidia Chipset (SLI supported)
USB 3 and Sata 6 Gbps

Any ideas?

Last edited:
look into Nvidia? AMD is not the place to be looking for Nvidia boards anymore. I would go intel if you want SLI.

That appears to be your one and only choice. If you want/need to add USB3 or SATA 6, Asus also has an add-in card you could take a look at, the ASUS U3S6 (Asus page). But do your online research regarding it. Good luck!

That appears to be your one and only choice. If you want/need to add USB3 or SATA 6, Asus also has an add-in card you could take a look at, the ASUS U3S6 (Asus page). But do your online research regarding it. Good luck!

Thanks for that link Good deal for that add in card.

I think that motherboard I linked is the best choice becuase I want a board with SLI support just for down the road. I looked at CF boards but I don't plan to use ATI cards so why spend all the money on something I don't plan to use?

No problem, hope it helps. By the way, it occured to me later that the Asus Crosshair Extreme carries the Lucid Hydra chip, which will let you use any combination of GPUs. Besides the exorbitant price, it is more motherboard than 99.9% of us needs. Also, I believe MSI makes an interesting board based on the 870 chipset that also sports the Lucid Hydra, the MSI 870A Fuzion, so that again fits your bill and is a bit cheaper than the Crosshair Extreme... if you can find it. One last thing is that MSI, too, makes an Nvidia 980A-based motherboard, the MSI NF980-G65. Check those out and see if they change anything. Well, it looks like you have a couple more options. Check back and let us know what you decided and how everything works out.

Additional links:
Overclock3D Review of MSI

Thanks for that link Good deal for that add in card.

I think that motherboard I linked is the best choice becuase I want a board with SLI support just for down the road. I looked at CF boards but I don't plan to use ATI cards so why spend all the money on something I don't plan to use?

because its becoming an increasingly poor choice due to manufacture neglect. nothing wrong with your preference except Nvidia is only supporting AMD boards to get rid of their inventory. the 780a, 880a, and the 980a are all basically the same parts with some changes. so its older tech to start with. all this makes it hard to recommend the board. the good news is Asus is good for updating their end. so if you do go this route then the Asus is the only brand I would go with

Valset has a very good point as to Nvidia's chipset being, in essence, outdated tech. As long as we're talking about that, if I remember correctly the 980A chipset really draws alot more power compared to an AMD-based chipset. In the end, you would be better served by going the AMD chipset route with your Phenom II X6. You'd be getting a lot more for your money, in terms of updated tech and current support.

Valset has a very good point as to Nvidia's chipset being, in essence, outdated tech. As long as we're talking about that, if I remember correctly the 980A chipset really draws alot more power compared to an AMD-based chipset. In the end, you would be better served by going the AMD chipset route with your Phenom II X6. You'd be getting a lot more for your money, in terms of updated tech and current support.

I would agree

Back