Looking for motherboard recommendations

alfabun

n00b
Hi, Im building a new PC. The PC will be used for gaming. I done a list of MBOs which I can afford with my budget.

Can you help me choose the best MBO on the list?

- The MBO I was thinking of for Intel Core i5-11600K:

- MSI Z590-A PRO

The MBOs for AMD Ryzen 5 5600X :

- Asus Prime X570
- ASRock B550 Extreme4
- ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
- Gigabyte B550 AORUS Elite V2
- ASRock B550M Steel Legend
- MSI MAG B550M Mortar

If you don't absolutely need gen4 express slots the msi B450 Tomahawk max paired with a 5600X is a great budget build with very few compromises. I have 3 of said builds and have zero issues with any of them. The board can commonly be found for a little over $100.00.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you don't absolutely need gen4 express slots the msi B450 Tomahawk max paired with a 5600X is a great budget build with very few compromises. I have 3 of said builds and have zero issues with any of them. The board can commonly be found for a little over $100.00.

I would prefer a B550, X570 or Z590 because I want 4 express for my SSD. This is why I made a list of the ones I can afford with my budget.

Hi, Im building a new PC. The PC will be used for gaming. I done a list of MBOs which I can afford with my budget.

- MSI Z590-A PRO

I have the MSI Z590-A PRO, and it turns out it's actually one of the best of the cheaper boards. It is worth noting that it's actually the cheapest Z590 board MSI makes, in case that fact makes you a little uncomfortable. It's better than ASUS or ASRock, and pretty much neck in neck with the Gigabyte boards around the same price range. You won't really get anything better for overclocking unless you step up to at least an MSI MAG Z590 Torpedo, and even then it's not a dramatic improvement. I've heard that Rocket Lake CPUs tend to max out at 5.1GHz on air anyway, and that's if you get lucky with the silicon lottery. If you're not planning to watercool the CPU and do a lot of manual voltage tweaking, the MSI board you're looking at should be more than sufficient for any OC you can achieve on air cooling. I've personally seen the MSI Z590-A PRO sustain a stable 5GHz all-core overclock for significant periods of time under load on an 11700K, on the computer I just built. Granted, it has a Noctua NH-D15, but it is stable doing it and stays under 80C easily.

Last edited:
Amazon used X570 boards (specifically the AORUS boards) are almost half off and have been completely like-new for me the last 2-3 I purchased recently, even better when they have that 20% off amazon warehouse deals. There are a couple Aorus Elite/Elite WiFi in the $12X range right now used.

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-X57...d=1&keywords=x570+aorus&qid=1620464396&sr=8-1
https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-X57...d=1&keywords=x570+aorus&qid=1620464396&sr=8-2

Edit: they are running an extra 5% off for used boards right now.

Last edited:
I bought the Asus X570 TUF (non-Wifi) board off Amazon warehouse and it came in like new condition. I think it was $165 or something. Brand new was $210 at the time. I used the X570 Prime board for several months before I sold it to a friend of mine. It ran great also.

If you don't plan on ever upgrading the 5600x, you can pretty much get whatever board you like as it's only a 65W CPU.

Your list of boards is very eclectic. Figure out what form factor you want first, and then look for the board you want. Generally, "better" boards are ATX form factor and mATX are cheaper and have more corners cut. That doesn't mean you can't find a good mATX board for the 5600x if you look around.

Your list of boards is very eclectic. Figure out what form factor you want first, and then look for the board you want. Generally, "better" boards are ATX form factor and mATX are cheaper and have more corners cut. That doesn't mean you can't find a good mATX board for the 5600x if you look around.
Yea I just wrote down the list of the boards I can afford with my budget some I can find used with a good price. Many prices depend on my country so there a lot of boards that are cheap in the US but in my country they go over my budget because I can find them only new in store.

For now if I go on AMD I will go for a 5600x but in the future I thinking to upgrade to 5900x.

Yea I just wrote down the list of the boards I can afford with my budget some I can find used with a good price. Many prices depend on my country so there a lot of boards that are cheap in the US but in my country they go over my budget because I can find them only new in store.

For now if I go on AMD I will go for a 5600x but in the future I thinking to upgrade to 5900x.
Yeah that is a good upgrade path, but if you are planning to go 5900x you might want to consider spending a little bit more on a motherboard for the 5900x.

If you eventually plan to get a 5900x (or any other bigger/better Zen 3 processors if they release more), seek out the MSI x570 Tomahawk. Lots of places have it listed in the $250-260 range, but it can be found close to its $200 MSRP on occasion. It's about as feature-rich as they come for boards anywhere in that price range.

- MSI Z590-A PRO

- Asus Prime X570
- ASRock B550 Extreme4
- MSI MAG B550M Mortar
+1 for the ASRock B550 Extreme4, if you're going AMD. Board has a lot of features and the best sensor support in Linux I've seen.

- MSI Z590-A PRO

- Asus Prime X570
- ASRock B550 Extreme4
- MSI MAG B550M Mortar
Out of that list, I'd probably go for the ASUS Prime X570 or the GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Elite v2.

Im about to build a new computer for the first time in 8 years!!! I was hoping to get a few recommendations from you guys since Ive been out of the loop for a while. Im either buying the i7-8700K or the i7-9700k. What are good, stable boards for performance and overclocking? Are there any boards that I should steer away from?
for those super ancient cpus an asus hero xi would probably be the best bet

I would recommend B550 tomahawk. Super solid vrm heatsinks. Was able to run my 5900x at 1900 FLCK (infinity fabric) with 3800mhz ram cl14

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
I would recommend B550 tomahawk. Super solid vrm heatsinks. Was able to run my 5900x at 1900 FSB with 3800mz ram cl14
The X570 Tomahawk and its B550 counterpart are some of my favorite budget boards. Sure, there are cheaper options but not with the same level of VRM quality.

The X570 Tomahawk and its B550 counterpart are some of my favorite budget boards. Sure, there are cheaper options but not with the same level of VRM quality.
Totally agree. The only difference that I found between chipset was in the number of m.2 / usbs / pci slots which I don't need. As far as performance goes they are both super capable.

Back