Looking for low wattage, high quality PSU

todlerix

2[H]4U
I dont know what the requirements are per rail but the total power consumption i can get this SNB 2300, p95, furmark, 5x fans, 1x ssd 2xHDDs is 188W

I'm after a powersupply that is rated for 200/250W, goal being cheaper than the 430W corsairs i'm using now.

[edit: added]
Few tidbits, p95 by itself is 116w~

Idle is 36W

Sleep is 2W

Off with kill switch in the on position, 0.2w (I mention this one because some computers draw up to 10w while off with power switch set to on)

Last edited:
I'm not sure you can go much cheaper than a CX430 for ~$17 without sacrificing quality... the lowest wattage quality power supply I usually hear of is the Antec Earthwatts 380... and that's more expensive (usually) than the CX430.

You're not going to find a great PSU in that output range, especially not one that's cheaper than the CX430. Just stick with what you've got.

I'm not sure you can go much cheaper than a CX430 for ~$17 without sacrificing quality... the lowest wattage quality power supply I usually hear of is the Antec Earthwatts 380... and that's more expensive (usually) than the CX430.

$17? where at?

Newegg had a couple of sales on the CX430 where after rebate price was ~$17. Or $35 with a NZXT M59 case after rebates.

Indeed, the cx430 for now is absolutely the rock bottom pricewise for a quality PSU. It's going to be overkill and you're going to have to deal with it.

If you want true efficiency and low wattage look into PicoPSU DC-DC bricks, will require an AC/DC converter of some sort, and will be more expensive (I think 160W is like $50) but they're kinda cool in their own way.

what a shite reply lol
No, he's right. You're not going to find any appreciably better deals on low-wattage PSUs than the CX430. They don't make high-end low-power units, because it's quite simply not cost effective to do so.

Define cheaper op? We can subscribe a CheapoTech psu which will be cheaper price shipping but will end up more expensive low efficiency bad build quality = buying a decent psu the next time

No, he's right. You're not going to find any appreciably better deals on low-wattage PSUs than the CX430.

Wasn't implying he was wrong, just a shite reply ;\

They don't make high-end low-power units, because it's quite simply not cost effective to do so

I feel this is most likely inaccurate, I think the high quality PSU market doesn't make the lower end power supplies because no one else does. I think a lot of 300W PSUs would sell and at a similar profit margin, but with, apparently, no power supplies available sub 400W with high reliability why bother. Your use of cost effective may be bent to say it covered what I said, but I don't read it like that.

I see the problem more as if hot dogs were alway sold in packs of 15 and buns only came in packs of 10. The issue is more apparent in this analogy so it seems ridiculous at first, but I think its the same.

Define cheaper op? We can subscribe a CheapoTech psu which will be cheaper price shipping but will end up more expensive low efficiency bad build quality = buying a decent psu the next time

Post title is "Looking for low wattage, high quality PSU"

Also efficiency varies depending on how much power is being drawn. Efficiency changes constantly, the tests (those little cert badges) are performed at XYZ load percentages, I can't say (don't like to be presumptuous but I dont think you can either) which power supply would have the better efficiency rating. The 430CXs i've been using or my hypothetical lower wattage PSU of good build quality.

Either way, I concede for today :(

Thanks for all who were helpful, seems odd to be that 430W is the lowest corsair will do.

I feel this is most likely inaccurate, I think the high quality PSU market doesn't make the lower end power supplies because no one else does. I think a lot of 300W PSUs would sell and at a similar profit margin, but with, apparently, no power supplies available sub 400W with high reliability why bother. Your use of cost effective may be bent to say it covered what I said, but I don't read it like that.

I see the problem more as if hot dogs were alway sold in packs of 15 and buns only came in packs of 10. The issue is more apparent in this analogy so it seems ridiculous at first, but I think its the same.
The problem is that really high-end PSUs cost a lot to manufacture, even at lower wattages. You'll end up with a PSU that is actually capable of putting out more power, so the manufacturers just go ahead and rate it for more since that means it can sell for more. Profit margins on low-end PSUs are very small, which is why that market segment is mostly limited to budget units and "niche" products like Seasonic's X-400.

Back