Looking for light laptop with decent gaming abilities

Syran

Gawd
Anyone have any recommendations for the following?
12-15" Screen
Discreet Graphics, this is going to be a work laptop, but I need something that can play games at a decent resolution, nothing spectacular, but i'm going to be traveling a lot, and don't want to carry a work laptop and a gaming machine.
< 4lbs (or right around it)
$1250 budget

Thanks in Advance!

GIGABYTE P34Gv2-CF4, if you want to check it out. It's $1,299 so a touch higher then your budget but sports a full i7 mobile, 860m graphics, 14" IPS screen, msata ssd+ mechanical HDD, and weighs is under 4 lbs (3.57 with it's 4 cell battery).

MSI ghost GS60 is like $1340 or something, specs are in my sig. Its ultrabook size and not heavy at all. Very thin. Comes with a nice travel case. I like it.

Dell E5450 (14"). I just got this laptop to replace my old Sony (which bit the dust; 13.3" - but same exterior size as this 14").

i7 5600U (yeah... the only real downside is this ULV CPU, though the chassis has enough cooling to allow it to run in boost mode nearly always).

GT840m (not the best GPU, but better than my old Vaio SVS13's GT640mLE.

One 2.5" 7mm slot. I don't think Dell quite does the M.2 deal in these laptops, yet.

Two DDR3L slots, two full channels - this is becoming somewhat of an issue with thinner laptops, Lenovos especially like to solder these.

40-61whr battery choices (though the 61hr doesn't come out until later this quarter?).

All the usual Dell Latitude choices and aesthetics (WWAN, fingerprint, smart card, dock, etc).

1366x768 display is non IPS (I think). 1920x1080 display is IPS. Touch screen option on both.

Mine is 3.9lbs.

All that being said, to me, this was a compromise, just like my previous two Sonys were (identical, but separated by generation). To me, the perfect laptop would be a Razer blade with Dell Latitude/Precision aesthetics and customizability. The raw amount of little shortcuts and hidden features that I missed with my old D630 are all coming back, now. Sony was never able to understand that part of the market, IMO. That being said, the touchpad (and eraserhead) in this laptop are okay, but the old Sony was better (Apple-level, this is just... a bit less). Sort of like the difference between a wireless gaming mouse, and a great, wired gaming mouse. Some minor finesse is lost on this touchpad.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions, ended up going with the Y40-80 w/ 16GB of ram, i7, R9M275, and 512GB SSD for $1000 :)

Back