Looking for LCD to use in portrait mode.

axan

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking for lcd that offers good quality image in portrait mode, something i can use for word processing and web browsing. Looking for something 19-22" So far I've been considering dell 2007 and Samsung 226CW. Any others I should consider? Any one know of any good reviews for portrait mode use?

If I recall, ClearType doesn't work in portrait mode...if that's an issue....

The best for portrait mode are LCDs with IPS screens.
So NEC 2490, 2690 and 3090, DoubleSight DS-263N, Planar PX2611W, HP LP2480zx, soon LP2475w. The first four has polarizer filter, so they should be better.
How large monitor do you want?

If I recall, ClearType doesn't work in portrait mode...if that's an issue....

I have just tested it and ClearType works ok. Maybe it was before, that there were problems with this combination.

The best for portrait mode are LCDs with IPS screens.
So NEC 2490, 2690 and 3090, DoubleSight DS-263N, Planar PX2611W, HP LP2480zx, soon LP2475w. The first four has polarizer filter, so they should be better.
How large monitor do you want?

thanx for the options those are little too big :p, I'm looking for something 19-22"

I hear the 2007FP is good, but its not widescreen. Probably what I'm going to pick up for this though.

2007fp is holding its value really well because it is so awesome.

...I just want another to complete my 20/30/20 set but don't want to pay a lot... :(

If it's purely for word processing, you could get any monitor that has a swivel. Most Dell monitors let you rotate the screen.

I have just tested it and ClearType works ok. Maybe it was before, that there were problems with this combination.

ClearType works in portrait mode in the sense that Windows will apply it, but it is not applied correctly, so the fonts look pretty bad when compared to the standard landscape mode. The problem is that ClearType relies on the sub-pixel structure which is vertically-adjacent RGB or (rarely) BGR sub-pixels. It cannot handle horizontally adjacent (one on top of the other) sub-pixels correctly.

ClearType works in portrait mode in the sense that Windows will apply it, but it is not applied correctly, so the fonts look pretty bad when compared to the standard landscape mode. The problem is that ClearType relies on the sub-pixel structure which is vertically-adjacent RGB or (rarely) BGR sub-pixels. It cannot handle horizontally adjacent (one on top of the other) sub-pixels correctly.

Good point. The the final effect strongly depends on the LCD panel used. I jest tested it for a while, but on my monitor it looked OK. I'm sure there are some people around who use monitors in portrait mode at all time :) So they can tell us. Why monitor did you test?

Good point. The the final effect strongly depends on the LCD panel used. I jest tested it for a while, but on my monitor it looked OK. I'm sure there are some people around who use monitors in portrait mode at all time :) So they can tell us. Why monitor did you test?

I tested it with the Dell 2001FP, Samsung 204T, and the ThinkPad X60 Tablet. Fonts didn't look good on all of them. It's usable and not terrible, but very noticeably worse than landscape.

Back