Looking for LCD monitor or LCD TV for retro gaming

gan7114

Limp Gawd
After having my old systems in storage boxes for 15+ years, I've dusted off my SNES, Genesis, N64, and PS2 and have decided to get to work on achieving that retro goodness.

First up, the systems. My focus right now is on upgrading the output signal. The Genesis, SNES, and PS2 all natively output RGB, but the N64 requires a hardware hack to induce RGB output. To be honest, I'm not that [H] where I'm going to hack my N64, so it'll remain saddled with composite. For the rest, I've ordered RGB-Scart cables. Going from composite to RGB-S (that also carries audio) will be a big improvement.

Second, I've ordered the latest version of OSSC. For me, being able to connect RGB-S (in) and HDMI (out) along with audio pass-though to a modern TV or monitor was the major selling point.

Hence, CRTs are out of the picture for me. And frankly, I'm now of the opinion that tube TVs are of questionable quality and condition at this point in 2019. Basically, the time as come and gone. I've burned about $80 on two used tube TVs recently (plus another two that were free that came from family storage, manufactured late 90's and early 00s). Even after gingerly handling them (one thing I won't miss is how much they weigh, UGH), driving them home, and getting them set up, I've discovered display issues every single time. Whether it's finding retrace lines on the AV input (that was a real bummer since it was a Trinitron), picture distortion with the flat tubes, or sporadic flicker, I've said to hell with them. I've looked into BNC and regular CRT monitors, but I find them to be too small relative to what I feel is a good size, which for me was 27" 4:3.

The device chain will look like this:

[Game System] --> [RGB-Scart Cable] --> [OSSC] ---> [HDMI Cable] --> [LCD TV or Monitor]

So my question, fellow [H]'ers, is what do I choose- TV, or monitor? And what brands.

At first I was inclined to buy a 720p TV, and you can still find them on the discount racks at the big box stores. However, after reading up, 720p TVs are not really pixel-perfect 720p... they're usually 1366 x 768, which is a tad beyond 720p. The equivalent "real" 720p resolution is 1280 x 720, but it seems you can't get a 720p TV in that specific resolution? Makes no sense to me, maybe it's for overscan?

Anyway- as for monitors, something with a 4:3 physical aspect ratio would of course be ideal, with a native resolution that is a multiple of 240p. The issue is -- for monitors these days -- 4:3 is almost non-existent.

I'm not opposed to using a 16:9 display (pillar boxed), as long as I can have a pixel-perfect representation on screen through 4:3 mode (TV) or 1:1 (monitor), again in multiples of 240p. I'd be completely fine with that.

TL;DR version: I need suggestions for an LCD monitor or LCD TV for retro gaming, especially from people who use an OSSC to output to their display. All comments are welcome, thanks!

Last edited:
This is honestly the one case where CRT will give you significantly better results. I have an old Sony professional monitor for use with PS2, emulators and whatnot and old games look really incredibly with it.

This is honestly the one case where CRT will give you significantly better results. I have an old Sony professional monitor for use with PS2, emulators and whatnot and old games look really incredibly with it.

As I said, I'm done with CRTs of any kind. Too much of a hassle.

I decided to go with the much-acclaimed Dell U2415, and got it at a fairly good price from B&H. Free expedited 2-day shipping as well, can't beat that.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1090259-REG/dell_u2415_24_ultrasharp_led_monitor.html

It's 1200p, has two HDMI ports, and full coverage of sRGB. Can even be hardware calibrated if I want to in the future. It also has 4:3 mode, so combined with 1200p, it should give an excellent picture connected to the OSSC.

It's not the biggest screen, but the quality and functionality makes up for the tradeoff in size.

Most monitors don’t do great with 480p or 720p which is what OSSC will output if I understand correctly.

I received the Dell U2415 today at work. I panicked because there was a small hole punched right through the front of the box, likely during transit. To make it worse, I realized after examining the box that the screen was barely an inch below the hole.

I though, "wonderful, damaged monitor."

Got it set up on my work desk and thankfully, no damage at all. Better yet, not a single dead pixel either. I'm using it right now. :D

It's been quite a while since I last used a 16:10 -- forgot just how big the screen is, even for a 24". It dwarfs my 16:9 monitor next to it. The 4:3 mode is really nice, and it only has pillar boxes of 160 pixels on each side.

Have you already used the Dell with the OSSC? Any scaling problems or artifacts? I'm also thinking of buying one OSSC to use with my 1920x1200 display (HP 2475w).

Have you already used the Dell with the OSSC? Any scaling problems or artifacts? I'm also thinking of buying one OSSC to use with my 1920x1200 display (HP 2475w).

I received the OSSC in the mail today. It has a lot of settings — I have no idea what half them do, and will have to read up more. The signal was pretty unstable at first using 5x mode, but after playing around it’s mostly good now. It still needs some more tweaking though.

One thing’s for sure, the picture looks great!

Cool. How would you rate it against a CRT picture?

Looks pretty darn good to me. LCD and CRT each have their own strengths though. The LCD gives it a super sharp picture, and the scart cable provides full RGB, so it’s nice and colorful. Of course, the benefit of OSSC is being able to reproduce scan lines with almost zero lag. I found that setting it at 50% intensity adds the right amount of definition.

Thank you for your answers, you helped me decide. I'm going to go that route also. I have a small trinitron CRT but it's showing its age. My only doubt is if my LCD will play nice with the OSSC.

C270613B-C190-4050-A0F4-5960A3204763.jpeg
5A699DF6-9E8E-4B11-A5A7-E852E94922B9.jpeg
40687260-1FA2-4304-A1D1-250632CB0069.jpeg
Thank you for your answers, you helped me decide. I'm going to go that route also. I have a small trinitron CRT but it's showing its age. My only doubt is if my LCD will play nice with the OSSC.

I got mine through VideoGamePerfection. They’re based in Ireland. I would highly recommend getting the remote, the remote overlay (sticker), and the 5V adapter for the OSSC. Makes it easy, and they’re just a few bucks on top.

One thing you’ll need (if you don’t have one) is a micro SD card. You’ll be able to do firmware updates to the OSSC. Even though mine had a hardware manufacture date of July 2019, it shipped with firmware version .81a. Today I updated it to .84a. You can grab the file online, and if you’ve ever done a BIOS update, it’s pretty much the same thing. Takes like two seconds (literally).

Also, you’ll need HDMI or VGA on your monitor. It helps if the monitor has a 4:3 mode too.

I’ll try and take some photos of my setup.

Last edited:
Thanks for the screenshots that definitely helps provide context. How’s the input lag “feel” compared to a CRT.

Thanks for the screenshots that definitely helps provide context. How’s the input lag “feel” compared to a CRT.

It’s imperceptible. Any lag generated from the OSSC is non-existent, and input lag from the Dell U2415 was measured to be low. It was reviewed by TFT Central back in 2014, and it earned a Class 1 for Lag (good for gaming).

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2415.htm

I should say that I’ve never owned a broadcast-type CRT monitor (nor would I go to that length these days). My comparison is based on your average CRT tube TV, both curved and flat. In that respect, the picture on LCD is, in my opinion, leagues better. Having full RGB color can’t be overstated enough. US consumers had to use composite for old game systems like SNES, Genesis, and PS1/2. Colors like in Chrono Trigger above look vibrant (but not over saturated) and much better than anything I remember growing up. The signal is much cleaner over scart, too. Every pixel and color is well defined, as you can see from my close up above. To top it off, the scan lines add contrast and definition.

I couldn’t be happier.

Back