Looking for instructions to install NextCloud Server on Ubuntu-MATE

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Seems that there are waaaaay too many different instructions out there. Leads me to think that nobody really knows how to do it. I've attempted it twice before and always run into insurmountable problems like the one or more steps simply don't work or an expected phrase isn't there or worst of all, the author uses unintelligible gibberish full of ambiguity and gross grammatical errors. The last attempt I actually got it up and running but could not get https redirect working properly.

And BTW, I plan to install it under Hyper-V on Windows Server 2012 R2 if that makes any difference.

TIA

I use nextcloudpi myself, but looking at the Digital Ocean guide linked below, it looks like a well written and comprehensive guide. It was also written on the 6th of this month with Ubuntu 16.04 in mind. The only thing I don't think it really covers is if you want to use MariaDB as opposed to SQLite. There's also another guide on hardening your install out there. If I can find it again I'll link it in another post.

https://www.digitalocean.com/commun...stall-and-configure-nextcloud-on-ubuntu-16-04

Own cloud services are tricky for many due to dynamic ip:s on the network provider. So getting it to work from home gets a lot more complicated than from a real server host.

Own cloud services are tricky for many due to dynamic ip:s on the network provider. So getting it to work from home gets a lot more complicated than from a real server host.
Yeah, I personally use DDNS functionality within my router. Nextcloupi also include DDNS services packed in to the image.

We mostly have static IP addresses in Australia, it's rare that I have to use DDNS.

We mostly have static IP addresses in Australia, it's rare that I have to use DDNS.
I wish, but in the US you pretty much have to either be the luckiest residential customer ever or buy a commercial internet connection to get a static IP.

I have Comcast and they rarely change my IP. If I reboot the router or there's a poer outage then it will change but I've had the same IP for months. I access my security cams vis IP and if it happened too often I'd have to use a DYDNS service and they all suck as far as I'm concerned.

I could have a static IP for 5 eur/month extra. But I use two modems and a load balancer so it's going to hop ip:s anyway.

How does that work? Are you using the modem's in bridge mode or are you double NATing?

I use a TP-link gigabit load balancing router. Very easy to set up.

But, the modem's would have to be acting in bridge mode with the load balancer running as a router, otherwise you're double NATing? I mean, that's essentially what the load balancer is doing - Routing?

But, the modem's would have to be acting in bridge mode with the load balancer running as a router, otherwise you're double NATing? I mean, that's essentially what the load balancer is doing - Routing?

Yes the modems are in bridge mode and the router intelligently routes the traffic. I have two LTE modems and adding a second modem (from another service provider, important) took the download speed from 90Mbit/s to 160Mbit/s. Ping dropped from 24 average to 19 (host 130km away).

Yes the modems are in bridge mode and the router intelligently routes the traffic. I have two LTE modems and adding a second modem (from another service provider, important) took the download speed from 90Mbit/s to 160Mbit/s. Ping dropped from 24 average to 19 (host 130km away).

That's actually not a bad ping for a mobile service...

Shit, lost in space again.....

I installed NextCloud using snap which was easy peezy but no https redirect. I tried to enable it as per instructions but it appears that apache2 is not installed and I'm prompted to install it. Should I do this? NextCloud is up and running and I can log into the web interface. Question is, do I have a partial install here and how do I enable https redirect? Any guidance much appreciated.

Yep, found that after I posted. :cool:

Now the only problem left is the Android client doesn't work. Windows and Ubuntu clients do so it's an Android problem. No error messages, it just won't sync. :(

Yep, found that after I posted. :cool:

Now the only problem left is the Android client doesn't work. Windows and Ubuntu clients do so it's an Android problem. No error messages, it just won't sync. :(
Over wifi or over cellular or both?

Had the phone set to local IP. Just deleted account and set it up for pulbic IP and still no joy. No error messages and no upload. :(

EDIT - Just manually created the InstantUpload folder and still no joy.

So weird. You'd think it'd at least give you some type of error or feedback as to what the problem is.

OK, what's happening is new files/pics are being uploaded but existing files are not. This appears to be by design. Weird.

Back