Looking for illuminated mech keyboard with cherry blue switches

Stevarian

Limp Gawd
While in the Hot Deals forum, I found this thread about Rosewell mechanical keyboards being on sale at newegg http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1705855
I need a new keyboard for my new system. I currently have a Logitech G19, and I really like the illuminated keys, as I sometimes play in a darkened room. After reading about the switches, I think I would like the Cherry blue switches, as I miss the old clicky noises of older keyboards. I found the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate has Cherry blue switches and is illuminated, but have read varying posts about their quality.
My local Bestbuy has them in stock, so plan to go check them out. Any others to look at? I also note that Rosewell should have some illuminated models in late August or September, not sure I want to wait....

I LOVE my Razer BlackWidow Ultimate !!! Highly recommend!!

Thermaltake just came out with a mech keyboard with the cherry blue switches but I have no clue yet on how good they are or are not

That is good to hear. I assume you have not had problems with the space bar. I read that a few people have had problems with it. I already use a USB keyboard, and I am a fairly fast typist, and have never had an issue with the key rollover being 6.

The Coolermaster Trigger with blue switches sounds like a nice board too. I will check out the Thermaltake. Thanks!

I'd vote Cooler Master Storm Trigger, mine is using brown switches, but I was given the option of any switch when I looked there. the rubber coating is not annoying, the lights are bright, and the macro keys are not bad (don't use much, but at least they are not in the way). I'll try to find the link when I'm home, I can't pull CM up here...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Stay away from the BWU if you can possibly help it - at first glance it's a decent keyboard but I found all kinds of little quality issues that made me return mine - the least of which was extremely shoddy keycaps.

I own (several) and totally recommend the Ducky Shining (aka the Ducky Shine / DK-9008S). They are available in just about every switch / LED color combination and are pretty solid units. My new favorite is the Cherry Blue w/ white LED backlite. Totally awesome. :)

I think there is a mechanical keyboard guide in this forum, that has a link to an article about the different mechanical switches. Was very informative. I will have to look for the link. Think it might be at overclockers.net

I just got my new motherboard, the Z77 Sabertooth, and of course it does not have a PS/2 connector, and that is of course how you get perfect key rollover, as opposed to 6 with USB. Is there a connector adapter that works for this purpose?

Also, that Ducky keyboard looks nice. Not sure if I want the one with both English and Chinese characters though....

The Max Nighthawk X9 looks like a great keyboard...I wish it had the blue switches as an option though....

If you're not in a rush, you can occasionally catch the BWU on sale for around $90-$100. I bought mine last year at Frys for just under $100 after tax.
They do seem to suffer random quality issues, and are only 2KRO (shame for a 'gaming' keyboard).
I like it because I didn't pay $140 for it. I consider it 'adequate' for my gaming needs but eventually I want to replace it with something better.

IMO look at the Ducky Shine or the Deck Legend. Duckys look really nice but can sometimes be hard to get. Decks are pretty damn expensive. One of them (I don't remember which) does not remember your brightness settings when you shutdown - may wanna do some reading up on that...
Corsair has recently released a couple mechanical KB's that looked pretty nice also.

Thanks...now at least I have several to look at.

I found a non-illuminated Leopold, http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,fullsize&pid=fc500rcab, that said this about an included PS/2 adapter and true N-key rollover: "N-key Rollover allows multiple simultaneous key presses to be recognized by your computer. True N-key Rollover works only with the included PS/2 adapter. Using the USB connection will limit the N-key Rollover function to 6 keys, plus 4 modifiers (Ctrl, Alt, Pgup, etc.), at a time."

I have read elsewhere that PS/2 adapters don't help USB keyboards with rollover. So I assume it is still a limitation of the keyboard itself?

Yeah, don't bother looking up my Cherry MX Wiki at Geekhack. It's borked.
Ripster, do you know if the GH admins kept regular backups? Loosing that built up wealth of knowledge would be a disaster.

Google still has a cache available for GeekHack if someone if looking for some specific information. Use this to search for information on the Filco Ninja for example:

site:geekhack.org Filco Ninja
Unfortunately, the last proper snapshot made by archive.org is from 2010. Here is the GH wiki:
GH changed something on their end in 2011 which prevented their bots from making a cache.

I hope your Wiki comes back...

I was looking at the maxkeyboard website, and they can build a custom keyboard...so could get one with MX Blue switches, choice of LED colors, could mix in blues, browns, blacks, reds....but man is that spendy.

I have a Black Widow Ultimate and I despise it for gaming as the A and D keys stick if I hold L Shift at the same time. Nothing like getting stuck turning in the middle of the road while playing BF3 or tanking in a MMO and stuck spinning infinitely.

I have a Corsair K90 and really like it, but it's cherry reds instead of blues if that's a major issue. I looked at one Razer, it was a mirror shiny one, but didn't care for how it looked and felt in person. The Corsair has good heft and clickiness. I would've preferred shorter keycaps, coming from the Mac style chicklet keyboard, but I've adjusted fine. The wrist-rest was another key point for me but may not be an important factor for you.

Back