Looking for high-res maps of the world (continents, etc) for wallpaper

IcarusSC

Gawd
I'm finding a lot of stuff on Google, but the quality is really uneven. Are there any sites or collections that specialize in high-quality high-res maps?

Yeap. Nasa has the whole planet in insanely high resolution available to the public. I'll look it up myself if I have the time.

EDIT: Here's the very popular "Earth at Night" satellite image. The full size is 54000x27000.
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/view.php?id=79765&src=ve

I know they have other stuff up on there somewhere...

Second EDIT: Just realized you said "maps" and not necessarily satellite imagery... whoops, well hope it's useful anyway.

Last edited:
Context of the use would help in providing a better answer. UnknownSouljer already pointed out NASA being a great source for detailed satellite images, but if you want maps, ArcGIS is a possible solution. You can get a 30-day trial and use any of their template maps.

Thank you for what's already been posted!

I recently put together a big map-of-the-world puzzle, and it got me thinking that some high-quality, high-detail maps of various continents and regions of the world might make an ideal set of wallpapers; they'd be fun to look at (I love geography) and I'd be able to learn more stuff (cities, borders, regions, geographic zones, terrain features, etc).

So basically, for wallpaper. And learning.

evilsofa: yes, I have that one! It's fun, but not so much useful for learning :)

Back