Looking for help in buying new 27 IPS monitor

Temo2019

n00b
Hello everybody,I'm in the market to buy a new 27 IPS,144+hz,2K monitor :) Coming from acer xb271hu (awful plastic construction) I need something reliable to buy for 2-3 years. Should I buy

LG 27GL83A-B for 380$ or there are any other recommendations or should I wait for something new? Thanks for any help,cheers.
My main pc parts:
Asus 2080
16gb RAM
970 samsung evo

Going from xb271hu to another 27" 1440p 144Hz monitor like 27GL83A-B won't really bee any upgrade and in certain aspects a downgrade ...

Dual monitor setup? Mostly a side grade if it’s a replacement, apart from the improved gray to gray pixel response time and improved colour output. There are 240hz 1440p IPS/VA displays coming later this year if you aren’t in any hurry to buy now. (assuming no virus related delays in production)

Going from xb271hu to another 27" 1440p 144Hz monitor like 27GL83A-B won't really bee any upgrade and in certain aspects a downgrade ...

I didn't say i need upgrade. Just another 27 144hz 1440p good quality monitor,because build quality in xb271hu is the worst I've seen in displays. All I need the latest tech and best quality display,I don't need 5 usb ports,speakers,rgb etc.. :)

Dual monitor setup? Mostly a side grade if it’s a replacement, apart from the improved gray to gray pixel response time and improved colour output. There are 240hz 1440p IPS/VA displays coming later this year if you aren’t in any hurry to buy now. (assuming no virus related delays in production)
No,single monitor setup. With 2080 I guess pushing fps over 144 will be difficult in AAA titles so any reason to buy 240hz? I'm not in a hurry,though I need monitor in upcoming weeks.

There is other option,HP Omen 27i,what about that? :)

I didn't say i need upgrade. Just another 27 144hz 1440p good quality monitor,because build quality in xb271hu is the worst I've seen in displays. All I need the latest tech and best quality display,I don't need 5 usb ports,speakers,rgb etc.. :)
I would not expect better build quality from LG 27GL83A or anything in this price range really.
I would also not expect it to be upgrade in gaming over XB271HU which has real G-Sync module (thus pretty good RTC impulse control when using VRR)
Response times seems very similar also.

Also keep in mind DCI-P3 monitors are worse at text rendering than native sRGB monitors.
sRGB emulation on DCI-P3 monitors tend to be pretty good but monitor you have currently is pretty close to sRGB by itself so you cannot expect spectacular difference here either.

LG has been doing me solid, I don't think you can really go wrong with that LG.

I've never heard this before. Where are you getting this from?
Subpixel font rendering uses colors to increase font resolution at expense of slight colorization artifacts:
Subpixel_demonstration_%28Quartz%29.png

It is in operating systems like Windows tuned for native color space.
If you use wide gamut monitor then you have two options:
1. use native color space - in this case subpixel rendering will work correctly but you will still get slightly more colorization due to more saturated RGB subpixels
2. use sRGB emulation - in this case monitor automatically changes ratios of subpixels to simulate sRGB colors and it will affect any subpixel rendering making fonts look incorrectly
Native gamut on wide gamut monitors gives completely inaccurate colors so using it is out of the question really. Thus you get slightly worse font rendering.

You might have never heard this before because typically low PPI wide gamut monitors came with AdobeRGB which doesn't have this effect very visible with sharing B and R primaries with sRGB.
DCI-P3 has more saturated R primary but most monitors have relatively high PPI of ~109 and for most people this is already at the limit of resolving capabilities at normal viewing distances and you pretty much need sRGB and wide gamut monitors next to each other to notice it where most people tend to get identical monitors when they go multi monitor.

Here is gamut comparison: https://www.eizoglobal.com/products/coloredge/cg279x/cg279x-color-modes.jpg

I noticed this when having sRGB monitor next to RGB-LED monitor which has much larger gamut than even DCI-P3 and AdobeRGB next to each other and both had similar PPCI. With such setup difference was pretty stark. Otherwise with single RGB-LED monitor I did not realize text was affected even if it did seem a bit strange.

Should you care though?
No, not really.

Subpixel font rendering uses colors to increase font resolution at expense of slight colorization artifacts:
View attachment 267159

It is in operating systems like Windows tuned for native color space.
If you use wide gamut monitor then you have two options:
1. use native color space - in this case subpixel rendering will work correctly but you will still get slightly more colorization due to more saturated RGB subpixels
2. use sRGB emulation - in this case monitor automatically changes ratios of subpixels to simulate sRGB colors and it will affect any subpixel rendering making fonts look incorrectly
Native gamut on wide gamut monitors gives completely inaccurate colors so using it is out of the question really. Thus you get slightly worse font rendering.

You might have never heard this before because typically low PPI wide gamut monitors came with AdobeRGB which doesn't have this effect very visible with sharing B and R primaries with sRGB.
DCI-P3 has more saturated R primary but most monitors have relatively high PPI of ~109 and for most people this is already at the limit of resolving capabilities at normal viewing distances and you pretty much need sRGB and wide gamut monitors next to each other to notice it where most people tend to get identical monitors when they go multi monitor.

Here is gamut comparison: https://www.eizoglobal.com/products/coloredge/cg279x/cg279x-color-modes.jpg

I noticed this when having sRGB monitor next to RGB-LED monitor which has much larger gamut than even DCI-P3 and AdobeRGB next to each other and both had similar PPCI. With such setup difference was pretty stark. Otherwise with single RGB-LED monitor I did not realize text was affected even if it did seem a bit strange.

Should you care though?
No, not really.

Interesting, thanks. What about wide gamut monitors that can be hardware calibrated and have optional native presets for different color spaces ? e.g. native sRGB? Would their text rendering be affected?

Back