Looking for headphones with great soundstage and good bass response

Nvidia_ATI

Limp Gawd
I am looking for headphones which have great soundstage for positional audio in FPS games. I would like to be able to locate opponents footsteps, distance of gunfire, etc. But I am a bit of a bass head so I would still like to have some decent bass. It will be nice for explosion to have weight and impact. In addition, I plan to get virtual surround sound using both Yamaha Silent Cinema on my RX-V673 AV receiver and Dolby Atmos App on Windows 10 and my on board motherboard audio.

I understand that I would likely need open back headphones. I am looking at:
Sennheiser HD 579: some reviews say its soundstage is inferior to other Sennheiser headphones.
ATH-AD700X: I hear it has no bass response.

I would appreciate any other recommendations.

I'm quite pleased with my phillips fidelio X1 headphones. Large sound stage and decent bass. They are discontinued but you should still be able to find a pair. Whatever headphones you pick I would suggest to use some type of amplification.

Here are some reviews of headphones, based solely off their gaming performance. Worth a look.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mad...18-beyerdynamic-mmx300-2nd-gen-review.534479/

I'm quite pleased with my phillips fidelio X1 headphones. Large sound stage and decent bass. They are discontinued but you should still be able to find a pair. Whatever headphones you pick I would suggest to use some type of amplification.

Here are some reviews of headphones, based solely off their gaming performance. Worth a look.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mad...18-beyerdynamic-mmx300-2nd-gen-review.534479/

Many thanks for your comments. I will look into the fidelio X1. The website you linked has been very helpful. I have added Game one and DT 990 pro to my list of headphones under consideration.

Akg 700 series if you want to hear where the trouble is coming from. Not much bass but damn fine separation of sounds. You can clearly hear footsteps.

I'd say that my Hifiman HE-4XX (Massdrop Edition) are probably the best at this. I like them quite a bit; they are 'clearer' than my HD600, which themselves will top any 'headset' on the market, while providing a bit more punch. Main complaint is that they're less comfortable than the HD600, which can be said for just about every set of cans out there.

Akg 700 series if you want to hear where the trouble is coming from. Not much bass but damn fine separation of sounds. You can clearly hear footsteps.

I appreciate the suggestion. I am willing to compromise a little on sound separation if there is a little more bass. I would prefer a bit fuller sound.

I'd say that my Hifiman HE-4XX (Massdrop Edition) are probably the best at this. I like them quite a bit; they are 'clearer' than my HD600, which themselves will top any 'headset' on the market, while providing a bit more punch. Main complaint is that they're less comfortable than the HD600, which can be said for just about every set of cans out there.

Thanks. I will look it up.

Also check out head fi. They have a for sale section you can browse for some decent deals on used headphones. I usually buy a pair, try them and sell them back. You pay a rental fee in a sense. Usually you lose $20-30 by doing this.

A big f u to the sneaky autocorrect. Changing fs to family? You to on? Wtf?

Last edited:
Also check out head fi. They have a for sale section you can browse for some decent deals on used headphones. I usually buy a pair, try them and sell them back. You pay a rental fee in a sense. Usually you lose $20-30 by doing this.

A big f u to the sneaky autocorrect. Changing fs to family? You to on? Wtf?

You can turn autocorrect off you know. I disable that always as a first thing. It's annoying as hell.

I have Senn HD558 and they don't have bass impact, my beyerdynamic DT990pro do though.

I currently have three sets depending on my mood really.

AKG 7xx
DT990 pro 250 ohm
DT770 80 ohm

All three work well gaming, but I prefer my 990's over the rest. If your wanting a little more bass the 770's are a closed back can, but still sound great, low impedance so you don't need a strong amp to power them. I've also thoroughly enjoyed HD598 and HE400i's but those depend on your taste.

This mod helps a little bit to increase the clarity of the bass and lows on the 700 series. I did this to my 7xx massdrop editions and noticed a little bit of improvement.

Wildcard option.

Ebony Fostex TH-X00s.

Not quite the sound stage that HD650s have but for a "semi-closed" pair of cans they are really good with probably some of the best damn bass you'll ever hear short of strapping a pair of full standing speakers to your head.

This, I bounced around between a few headphones a few years back. The dt990 was the last pair that I purchased and have been happy with them since

I have the 990s and 770s. Love both but definitely will take my 990s over the 770s any day.

The DT990 250ohm version has a nasty spike at 7khz that needs to be eq:d out. Otherwise a nice pair of cans.

Wildcard option.

Ebony Fostex TH-X00s.

Not quite the sound stage that HD650s have but for a "semi-closed" pair of cans they are really good with probably some of the best damn bass you'll ever hear short of strapping a pair of full standing speakers to your head.

Massdrop now has the TR-X00 Ebony cans that have a removable cable, whenever they bring the drop back. Think I'll be grabbing a pair.

[then it'll be time to start selling cans, lol!]

Not sure if it is too late to chime in. I use the following setup:
- Cans: Grado SR325is (newer model is the Grado SR325e http://www.4ourears.net/SR325_p/4e-sr325e.htm). Here is What HI-FI's review: https://www.whathifi.com/grado/sr325e/review
- Schiit Audio: Modi 2 DAC http://www.schiit.com/products/modi-2
- Bravo Audio v2 Headphone Amplifier. https://www.amazon.com/Bravo-Audio-V2-Multi-Hybrid-Headphone/dp/B00ADR2DTG.
+ I recently replaced the vacuum tube with this model: https://www.amazon.com/Mullard-12AU...1530309726&sr=8-1&keywords=mullard+12au7+tube. Made a large difference (to my ear) in overall quality and vibrancy of the sound.​

Cost:
- Cans = $295
- DAC = $99
- Amp = $65.99 + $23.99
- Total = $483.98

I thoroughly enjoy this setup. The sound is great. I find the Grado 325is (325e's are the same band and cushion design) to be comfortable YMMV.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Wildcard option.

Ebony Fostex TH-X00s.

I has the 900s. I can definitely agree that you can loose yourself in the bass.

I'd recommend a good detailed type of headphones with wide soundstage then use hardware bass boost or equalizer to make up what is missing. I just picked up an ifi micro SE amp and the xbass feature really brings out the bass of the hd800's I have. A good pairing of a wide soundstage/detailed headphone with a decent amp that does some hardware switchable bass boosting may be the combo you are looking for.

That post is definitely right about BASS being a distraction during games. I've actually had issues where my computer's EQ setting (Razer Surround software) would stifle gamer's voice communication as well because I went heavy on the Bass. But that music was so good, I didn't care.

I'd recommend a good detailed type of headphones with wide soundstage then use hardware bass boost or equalizer to make up what is missing. I just picked up an ifi micro SE amp and the xbass feature really brings out the bass of the hd800's I have. A good pairing of a wide soundstage/detailed headphone with a decent amp that does some hardware switchable bass boosting may be the combo you are looking for.

Thanks for your comment. I already have a 5.1 surround speaker setup with a Yamaha RV-673 receiver and Energy classic speakers. So I don't want to spend more than $250 on the headphones since they would not be used very much; only for late night gaming.

Thanks for the info! Is this equivalent to the HifiMan 400s? How wide is the soundstage?

400i, from the reviews, which is one of three '400' models. I'd describe the soundstage as very wide, or above average for open cans (all of which are generally 'wide').

400i, from the reviews, which is one of three '400' models. I'd describe the soundstage as very wide, or above average for open cans (all of which are generally 'wide').

I tried the GameOne and was disappointed with the soundstage which I thought was too small for an open headphone. How would you compare the soundstage HifiMan HE-4XX to HD 600 and HD 598? How is the bass when compared to these two headphones?

I tried the GameOne and was disappointed with the soundstage which I thought was too small for an open headphone. How would you compare the soundstage HifiMan HE-4XX to HD 600 and HD 598? How is the bass when compared to these two headphones?

Haven't tried the HD598, which is significantly newer (the HD600's contemporary is the HD580), but the HD600 don't have a terribly wide soundstage for being open. Call them average, and the HE-4XX above average.

Of note, neither set of cans has real bass; rather, the bass is detailed, but does not in any way 'thump'. I don't know of any open cans that really do. Further, I'd caution pushing beyond entry-level hifi headphones for gaming. Games have music, but games aren't music; bass drowns out positional cues and VOIP and more 'detail' can make game sounds like gunfire fatiguing. It really is an exercise in 'just enough'.

Haven't tried the HD598, which is significantly newer (the HD600's contemporary is the HD580), but the HD600 don't have a terribly wide soundstage for being open. Call them average, and the HE-4XX above average.

Of note, neither set of cans has real bass; rather, the bass is detailed, but does not in any way 'thump'. I don't know of any open cans that really do. Further, I'd caution pushing beyond entry-level hifi headphones for gaming. Games have music, but games aren't music; bass drowns out positional cues and VOIP and more 'detail' can make game sounds like gunfire fatiguing. It really is an exercise in 'just enough'.

Your comments have been very helpful. Thanks! Will I need and amp to drive the HE-4XX?

HD 59x series excel in sound stage because they have angled drivers. Also I wouldn't buy HD 598 since HD 599 is out unless the HD 598 is significantly cheaper.

I have HD 58X Jubilee and HD 595. Both have nice sounds stage, just slightly different.

Sennheiser HD650 are a bass heavier HD600.
I own a pair, very decent set of phones.
You need an amp that can drive 300ohm well to get the best from them.

I heard a Massdrop started for the HD6XX yesterday which by all accounts appears to be a HD650.
$170 from what I read, bargain!

I currently have the Sennheiser 579s and the DT990s. I much prefer the DT990s, the sound quality of the Senns is not very great IMO

They are more 'V-shaped'; less reference, a tad more bass/treble.

Main point is that while they may have more bass, they're still not going to thump ;).
They arent bass monster phones but they arent slouches either.
If the HD650 are V shaped then HD600 have to be considered it as well, yet neither are perceived as having a dip.
The dip in response between 2 to 3KHz is where the ears pinna has a stronger response.

HD600 brown, HD650 blue (both newer silver screen versions)
hd600-vs-hd650.png

The following text refers to the Silver driver HD650
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd650/
Channel matching is excellent. Below 50Hz this headphone drops off gradually.
No deep rumbles on an impressive level but still quite audible.
Bass sounds ‘tight’ and ‘dynamic’ and integrates seamlessly with the mids.
From 50Hz to 20kHz the response is very flat and accurate.
The small dip from 1.5kHz to 3kHz may be a little less ‘deep’ in reality compared to the measurement because the measurement rig does not have a pinna which does alter the response exactly in that area. That small dip is not audible as a dip.
The treble response is exemplary.
From 5khz to >20khHz with very little sharp peaks and no dips.

What amp and source did you trial them with?

edit
ps I'm not trying to battle with you, just give the op an accurate image of what they are like.
Your posts in this thread have been extremely useful.

Last edited:
I own the HD600's- wanted something more neutral at the time of purchase- and have listened to them with the onboard audio on my old Z170-AR, Objective 2, Topping DX7 (and DX7s), and now the Massdrop CTH (a tube hybrid).

None of these sources aside from onboard sound appreciably different for most banal audio.

For comparison, I'll throw up my two current favorites, my Massdrop x Focal Elex, which is an Elear with the bass slightly detuned, and Sony's MDR-Z7, which is Sony's most recent 70mm closed set.

Both of these are significantly more expensive than the HD600, and both provide both more detail and more bass. The Elex, being open, actually sound similarly in terms of overall character but are so much more refined, while the Z7 actually provide bass and bump to go with it without sacrificing detail or soundstage too much.

And I'll add, on balance, that I'll likely keep the HD600's. They're superbly light, and with upgraded pads superbly comfortable, and the sound is just so 'listenable'. They're compromise cans to be sure, but they have their place, even next to otherwise superior devices.

I'll also throw in a reminder about gaming cans: for competitive gaming where positional audio plays a decisive role, you're either looking at >$1000 top of the line headphones, or you're looking for 'just enough'. The HD6x0-series are absolutely in that 'just enough' category, and perhaps at the pinnacle of it. In their price class (and below), more bass would rob low-end detail, to include positional cues and VOIP; more detail on the high-end would be distracting and fatiguing. They're generally 'just right'. The only legitimate complaint is that at 300Ω, they're difficult to drive from consumer gear, and while onboard sound can certainly supply the juice, from my experience at least, you're better off with something external.

edit
ps I'm not trying to battle with you, just give the op an accurate image of what they are like.
Your posts in this thread have been extremely useful.

So that it doesn't get lost: I want you to know that I absolutely appreciate the data-driven response!

Back