Looking for HDMI switch, 1 input, 2 output

BigBeef

Limp Gawd
Please keep in mind I need a switch, not a repeater. Also I need a switch with 1input and 2 outputs. This seems to be hard to find. Newegg has lots with 2+ inputs and 1 output.

My computer has 2 LCDs hooked up to it and I want to use my TV to play BD ROMs since I have a BD ROM on my computer. Well I have to unplug one LCD to plug into the TV, and this is annoying. So I need a switch where I can plug one of the computer output video cables into the box and have 2 cables as video output from the box into one LCD and the other into the TV so I can switch the source easily.

Any recommendations?

Since both ends of the HDMI cable are the same couldn't you just use one of the 1-2 switches you mentioned. I don't think the devices will mind if they are on the input or output side. Plug your PC into the "output" port and the two monitors into the "input" ports.

I'm not sure, it's a guess on my part ... but a lone HDMI cable is bi-directional.

Well since I'm going to be sitting right in front of where the switch will be located, I'll take the manual one for the price. It's not like I'm going to be running 3 devices at once and be switching inputs all over the place :)

What can you tell me about that Monoprice place? I see their name is on the switch, do they make their own stuff? I've never heard of them.

Oh..it's because their Canadian lol. They have pretty good US rates.

Well since I'm going to be sitting right in front of where the switch will be located, I'll take the manual one for the price. It's not like I'm going to be running 3 devices at once and be switching inputs all over the place :)

What can you tell me about that Monoprice place? I see their name is on the switch, do they make their own stuff? I've never heard of them.

Oh..it's because their Canadian lol. They have pretty good US rates.

Canadian? They're based in California as far as I'm aware. At least that's where all my items have shipped from.

Company info:
Monoprice, Inc.
11701 6th Street
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
Telephone : (909)989-6887
Fax : (909)989-0078

Moreover, everyone who's money conscious gets all their cables etc from Monoprice. They sell the exact same thing for a few bucks that'd cost you 20-60 bucks @ Newegg, best buy etc.

Wow holy shit...I go on Ebay for wiring and such. Was just about to pick up an HDMI cable there for $4, then I see these:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=hdmi+cable&x=0&y=0

I've never seen a retailer who could actually sell at those prices. I've only seen those prices on Ebay. This is interesting. Not only that, but I'll take an HDMI-DVI cable which usually costs a bit more and those are still only $6 for the long ones. DAMN.

I've only bought cables and one Minidisplayport -> HDMI adapter (for my Macbook Pro) from them and its all top notch stuff! Its just proof that other vendors are selling stuff that's way overpriced imo.

I just did a search for Monoprice on here and 20 pages :p
http://www.hardforum.com/search.php?searchid=14018776

Btw I'm sure you probably know this, but turn everything off before connecting the switch and other connections. :)

I've only bought cables and one Minidisplayport -> HDMI adapter (for my Macbook Pro) from them and its all top notch stuff! Its just proof that other vendors are selling stuff that's way overpriced imo.

I just did a search for Monoprice on here and 20 pages :p
http://www.hardforum.com/search.php?searchid=14018776

Btw I'm sure you probably know this, but turn everything off before connecting the switch and other connections. :)

You mean down to my computer off? What would that matter? I was planning on shutting off output to the LCD, hitting the switch, turning on the TV, then changing the output resolution.

I used to work at Best Buy...the margins they make on accessories and cables is atrocious. 6 ft Monster cable for $50 or whatever. It's no secret all retailers do that because you have to have the cable and most people are dumb as bricks and think nothing of it. Of course, that's not why I left. I left for another job, but also because the customers are dumb, just dumb, and I felt my brain capacity was far beyond theirs haha.

Does anyone remember when printers used to come with the USB cable many years ago? Now it's $30 for a 6 ft cable.

Oh its just advice I've read and yes I meant turning everything off. I've actually tried it without turning off my MBP before and it screwed some stuff up visually, but only temporarily.

What I'm referring to may have more to do with displayport than hdmi though.

Oh its just advice I've read and yes I meant turning everything off. I've actually tried it without turning off my MBP before and it screwed some stuff up visually, but only temporarily.

What I'm referring to may have more to do with displayport than hdmi though.

I can believe that...it's probably something to do with the fact that this device is electric, and when things have power, you generally don't want to start plugging/unplugging stuff before shutting down.

I've got a problem here.

The switch works the way it's supposed to, unfortunately it isn't working the way I wanted to.

If I connect it the way I wanted to, which was 1 input, 2 outputs, the switch will work for my Asus LCD, but the switch will not work for the TV. What's really weird is the computer recognizes the TV and turns it on, but the TV won't recognize the input, it just says 'no connection'.

If I plug the TV directly into the computer, it works.

Now, if I plug this together the way it's supposed to, which is computer output into switch input, and then switch output into TV HDMI input, the TV works! But then I can't use my Asus LCD because I only have 1 output, not 2.

If I do it my way, which is computer output into switch output, and then switch input into TV, and switch input into LCD, the LCD will work, but the TV won't recognize the signal.

I have tried all sorts of settings, powering down, etc...and nothing works.

2 Questions:

With the set up I want to do, is this still possible?

Why can my LCD work both ways, but the TV can't, even though the computer recognizes the TV both ways, but the TV will only work one way?

Your TV is probably trying to be smarter than your monitor and may only initialize once per cable connection. You might have to unplug/plug back in to the switch every time you want to use it.

You might also need to do something like "rediscover monitors" on your PC. My last experience with TV's on an Nvidia card (6800) was rather frustrating in that regard.

Your TV is probably trying to be smarter than your monitor and may only initialize once per cable connection. You might have to unplug/plug back in to the switch every time you want to use it.

You might also need to do something like "rediscover monitors" on your PC. My last experience with TV's on an Nvidia card (6800) was rather frustrating in that regard.

How would I rediscover monitors? I have a GTX285 with the latest drivers, and the TV always shows automatically regardless of how it's connected, the TV just only works when I have it plugged in the 'output' on the switch, the way it's supposed to work.

I found a really ghetto way to almost make it work.

I plug in the TV the right way and get it to turn on.

Then turn off that screen from the Nvidia control panel, switch the plugs the way I want it, and turn back on the screen in the control panel, it works and I can switch between monitors just fine.

Unfortunately, the TV says check signal cable and says no time information at the top. This won't go away, and it's always on top so I'd have to watch a movie with that shit on all the time.

Even if I plug it in my way and only have the TV connected, it still won't work. I guess the TV just doesn't work that way.

So basically I'm still losing. I guess the TV is smarter : (

So far the only way this will work properly is if I plug it in the proper way and unplug and replug between the computer screen and the TV. Man this stinks!

This would be easier if I just had Crossfire.

Back