Looking for good water cooling for under $199.99

mi1stormilst

[H]ard|Gawd
I am looking for a near silent WC system that will cool well. Not looking for anything super spectacular as my MOBILE 2500 seems to do well on air anyway. I would like a system that includes everything I need any suggestions?

Originally posted by shockwave85
Koolance E.X.O.S.

$200 at FrozenCPU.com

and the newer CPU block. That's what I almost got today but went with the Zalman instead for total silence.

If i was you... i'd keep my 200$ and wait till i have enough for a Asetek system... i built my water cooling system for ~35$... my .02cent

Originally posted by nOx34
Kits = Noes.

/yourself now :mad:

n0x34 if you don't know what you are talking about or out just to give bad advice post elsewhere

kits = save money, make life easier with everything shipped the same day and way less hassle...

my vote would be for the dangerden kit link posted or a koolance system

if i can do 3.6ghz out of a p4 2.8E without a hitch using a koolance system and the older 200G cpu block then it should just be fine :cool:

Actually, the people that badmouth the Koolance EXOS are the ones that have never owned one ! :(
It is NOT a "high performance" system but it does work quite well and will allow for some reasonable OC'ing ! :)

Originally posted by oldbrave
Actually, the people that badmouth the Koolance EXOS are the ones that have never owned one ! :(
It is NOT a "high performance" system but it does work quite well and will allow for some reasonable OC'ing ! :)

Since when do you need to own something to criticize it? I've never owned a Dell, but I can still criticize Dells. Koolance is the Dell of the watercooling world.

If you want to do the equivalent of not buying a dell and building your own computer, I'd go for a setup along these lines:

Dtekcustoms White Water or Dangerden RBX
Swiftech MCP600 or Danner Mag 3 pump
Dtekcustoms JR120 core and shroud, or custom heatercore/shroud combo
1/2" ID 3/4" OD Clearflex 60 tubing
T-Fitting for filling and bleeding purposes

just got my koolance installed and running tonight and im at 3.2ghz 40C under load

the swiftech kit is under 200 i believe and it comes with a block

Originally posted by Giblet Plus!
That's a retail hsf level OC. Yippee for you.

Of couse, if you dont have anything constructive to say, then shut the hell up. :rolleyes:

Excellent. Is that o/c with default voltages? Have you tried to go higher? Maybe give it a voltage kick?

I would also like a gpu cooler with this ... thanks for the feedback so far ... I would like to do slightly better then 40C. Perhaps somewhere around 35C or better. Right now I am at 42C with w Silent Boost.

Originally posted by CentronMe
Of couse, if you dont have anything constructive to say, then shut the hell up. :rolleyes:

Excellent. Is that o/c with default voltages? Have you tried to go higher? Maybe give it a voltage kick?

i have it at 3.3 right now, temps still under 45C under load. i cant seem to get it stable at 3.4. but i havent messed with it long so ill try again tonight.

i think a while back (read: 6-8 months) we all pitched in and devised a $150 watercooling setup for cornelious for under $150. it had great parts in it.

he should chime in and tell you what it is. it was really good.

should perhaps be made a sticky,IMO.

you would be better off with air cooling that thermaltake kit sucks a slk900 with 92mm fan will have better temps

ALL thermaltake products are worthless garbage.

why the hell are they still in business, again?

I have that aquarius II kit right now and It does suck IMO. I get around 42C under load with it. I am currently looking for a new setup myself and would like the ease of a kit also but am on a budget as well $200 tops. I see this one also but not sure how it performs

http://www.sharkacorp.com/Merchant2...SOS&Product_Code=ec-wc-201&Category_Code=kits

this Sharka site has alot of kits as well check them out. I am not sure if they are a good vendor though. I myself am looking here or maybe a dangerden kit.

Originally posted by hardwired
i think a while back (read: 6-8 months) we all pitched in and devised a $150 watercooling setup for cornelious for under $150. it had great parts in it.

Dtekcustoms White Water or Dangerden RBX
Swiftech MCP600 or Danner Mag 3 pump
Dtekcustoms JR120 core and shroud, or custom heatercore/shroud combo
1/2" ID 3/4" OD Clearflex 60 tubing
T-Fitting for filling and bleeding purposes

yar

yar

thats tight budgeting (i am talking sub-$150), if you go with the swiftech pump, considering it costs roughly half that. the RBX is money, too.

i think for the pump we wound up choosing a via aqua, im not sure. the rad was cheaper than the JR120 also.

my point is, thats not quite the setup for $150.

doesnt ANYONE but me remember this shit?

EXOS or the new Waterchill. The Waterchill from Asetek has really good performance with it's new Antartica cpu block.

Originally posted by hardwired
thats tight budgeting (i am talking sub-$150), if you go with the swiftech pump, considering it costs roughly half that. the RBX is money, too.

i think for the pump we wound up choosing a via aqua, im not sure. the rad was cheaper than the JR120 also.

my point is, thats not quite the setup for $150.

doesnt ANYONE but me remember this shit?

Tight budgeting:

White Water Rapids ~$50
Danner Mag 3 ~$40
Chevy Chevette or similar heatercore ~$20 at autozone
Custom or gladware shrouds ~$5
Clearflex 60 from www.mcmaster.com ~$6.50 for 10'
T fitting and hose clamps ~$8

Originally posted by acascianelli
i have it at 3.3 right now, temps still under 45C under load. i cant seem to get it stable at 3.4. but i havent messed with it long so ill try again tonight.

You see my friends, this is EXACTLY why people criticize koolance. It is a good system for beginners, silence, ease of use. If those are your priorities, and not overclocking, fine. I will not argue that. But its performance downright sucks WHEN compared to a good system.

You say your temps @ 3.3ghz witrh stock volts are 45C under load....consider this...

With my chip @ 1.75v bios (1.8v mbm5) running at 4ghz with a voltmodded video card @ 1.85 core volts running 430/470 my temps NEVER GO OVER 35C. Oh, and its rock solid.

You pick which one cools better:rolleyes:

Here's a nice cathar quote:

Originally posted by Cathar

Oh me, oh my. I'm so sad. My AthlonXP CPU's temperature is being reported in the low 50's at 2.88GHz. I'm really envious of people who's motherboards report low 30's for their CPU's running at 2.4GHz.

i.e. nothing is absolute. everything is relative. Ignore the absolute values that people spit out. None of them are accurate in an absolute sense.

I'm not quite sure how many times it needs to be said, but comparing absolute temperatures between different systems, even of the same motherboard and CPU type, same cooling, same everything else or whatever, it is absolutely, totally and utterly pointless.

temps don't mean anything, which is why I criticized acascianelli for his poor overclock with his koolance rig.

Cathar is running a straight h20 setup btw...

Im talking diode temps beneath CPU socket. That is as damn accurate as you can get. mbm5 temps are even lower (32C full load lately because my room temp was only 17C cuz the window got busted yesterday, it won't seal properly. ITs coooolllllddddd in my room lol.

Originally posted by computerpro3
Im talking diode temps beneath CPU socket. That is as damn accurate as you can get.

wrong, that is about as innaccurate as you can get. Temps are pretty much only useful to YOU to compare to past temperatures.

i gotta agree i could care less what my temps are as long as its below 50c. with water you get silence and the ability to run higher voltage over air.

koolance = teh suck

get this:

* Dtek WhiteWater - $49.99 (DangerDen RBX doesnt touch the pads which REALLY scares me, other than that theyre about the same) from detekcustoms.com
* Supreme Mag-Drive 3 350 GPH - $39.95 from marinedepot.com
* The Double Heater Core - $34.99 from Dangerden
* 10 feet 1/2" ID 1/8" wall PVC tubing (5233K68) - .57 x 10 = $5.70 from mcmaster.com
* 10 hose clamps, 5/16" width, 7/16"- 25/32" - $3.85 for 10
* T-line - $0.99 at Dtekcustoms.com
* Water Wetter - $3.50 at Dtekcustoms.com
* 2x Evercool fans - $11.99 x 2 = $23.98 at Dtekcustoms.com

Total: $162.96+ ~$12 shipping = $174.96

Im talking diode temps beneath CPU socket. That is as damn accurate as you can get. mbm5 temps are even lower (32C full load lately because my room temp was only 17C cuz the window got busted yesterday, it won't seal properly. ITs coooolllllddddd in my room lol.

how is not touching the cpu at all more accurate than the temp INSIDE the cpu die?

Originally posted by kronchev
how is not touching the cpu at all more accurate than the temp INSIDE the cpu die?

quite easily in fact, because no board currently has the ability to read the correct temp inside the die, as evidenced by the should be obvious to everyone by now fact that Asus reads low and Abit reads high. Sure, if you stuck a diode inside the die leading on a wire out hooked up to a fluke digital display it would be more accurate, but the problem is that you can't exactly drill inside a cpu die to do that without wrecking the chip. And you can't put a diode in between the heatsink or touching the cpu in any way without hurting heat transfer. Thats how its more accurate.

wrong, that is about as innaccurate as you can get. Temps are pretty much only useful to YOU to compare to past temperatures.

They are accurate as far as the realistic temperature of the cpu. Tell me this; according to mbm5 and bios today, my room temp was 19C and my cpu was 17C. Do you think this is possible in a self contained, ambient temp wcing system? I surely hope not...

When comparing to others, I use mbm5 temps, innacurate as they may be. Of course it is utterly pointless to compare abit to asus temps....

my point is that ALL temps we can take pratically are useless for comparing to other systems.

quite easily in fact, because no board currently has the ability to read the correct temp inside the die, as evidenced by the should be obvious to everyone by now fact that Asus reads low and Abit reads high. Sure, if you stuck a diode inside the die leading on a wire out hooked up to a fluke digital display it would be more accurate, but the problem is that you can't exactly drill inside a cpu die to do that without wrecking the chip. And you can't put a diode in between the heatsink or touching the cpu in any way without hurting heat transfer. Thats how its more accurate.

oh god

that is for ANY temp read by the motherboard, not just the CPU die

The components suggested scare me simpy because I have not set up a watercooling setup...you guys better rally around next paycheck cause I am gonna spring and will prolly need some help.

Originally posted by mi1stormilst
The components suggested scare me simpy because I have not set up a watercooling setup...you guys better rally around next paycheck cause I am gonna spring and will prolly need some help.

Having a 2.6-2.7+ ghz 2500+ should be worth the extra effort...

You see my friends, this is EXACTLY why people criticize koolance. It is a good system for beginners, silence, ease of use. If those are your priorities, and not overclocking, fine. I will not argue that. But its performance downright sucks WHEN compared to a good system.

You say your temps @ 3.3ghz witrh stock volts are 45C under load....consider this...

With my chip @ 1.75v bios (1.8v mbm5) running at 4ghz with a voltmodded video card @ 1.85 core volts running 430/470 my temps NEVER GO OVER 35C. Oh, and its rock solid.

You pick which one cools better:rolleyes:

You are comparing your ASUS mobo temps to an ABIT mobo temp reading. Then you fire this gem some posts later in the same thread.

Granted the Koolance doesn't perform as well as some do it yourself kits. The temperature differance won't be more than 5C in most situations.

Back