Looking for good 2tb ssd with a factory warranty No Micron 1100 please

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
Looking at getting a couple of 2tb ssds for My Asus I7 VR and HP ryzen X360 laptops both currently have 1tb storage ssds with NVme boot and os drives. Looked at the Micron 1100 but OEM virtually no real warranty, but good price 300 and a Mushkin Reactor 2tb 399, only drive seems to be hit and miss for quality. I just had to replace a 240 Sandisk ssd under warranty and they made me jump through a few hoops. only company that where an ssd and a 64gb sd card failed on me..
Any recommendations for a company or any deals...

i assume SATA bsed SSD

In uk ebay can get 2tb mx300, mx500(£325), SanDisk ultra (£285 one off, and and £345) or samsung 860 (£340)

i agree the micron 1100 (£355) that has no official support or firmware updates

Curious as to why the Micron 1100 warranty is a problem... the MX500 retails for about $450 and the Micron 1100 can be had for under $300, so 3 1100’s have the same price as 2 MX500’s - if your failure rate is not 100% you’re making money on the 1100’s (also note that should a drive fail in a year or two, a replacement drive will be cheaper by then)

I just noticed the Micron 1100 2TB endurance is pretty crappy at 400TB whereas the MX500 2TB has almost double that at 700TB; this must be why the 1100 is being dump relatively cheaply.

I just noticed the Micron 1100 2TB endurance is pretty crappy at 400TB whereas the MX500 2TB has almost double that at 700TB; this must be why the 1100 is being dump relatively cheaply.

Still a good option for many. I don't think I've ever written more than 150TB to a drive, though it's still a work in progress.

i guess sites are still incorrecting stating on the MX SSDs "Integrated Power Loss Immunity preserves all your saved work if the power unexpectedly gets cut" (no it just there so the SSD does not eat it self and wipe the drive)

crucial ssds have page protection that's all (ram on any SSDs is not used for write caching, all writes go straight to the nand)

i guess sites are still incorrecting stating on the MX SSDs "Integrated Power Loss Immunity preserves all your saved work if the power unexpectedly gets cut" (no it just there so the SSD does not eat it self and wipe the drive)

crucial ssds have page protection that's all (ram on any SSDs is not used for write caching, all writes go straight to the nand)
What you’re saying is saved work is not saved?

What you’re saying is saved work is not saved?

If the small writes are sitting in RAM before being committed to the NAND flash and the power is unexpectedly cut off. Otherwise the drive would normally receive some type of signal saying "You might want to commit everything to non-volatile storage because you are about to lose power".

If the small writes are sitting in RAM before being committed to the NAND flash and the power is unexpectedly cut off. Otherwise the drive would normally receive some type of signal saying "You might want to commit everything to non-volatile storage because you are about to lose power".
I see. UPS’s are cheap enough these days one is nuts for not having one for their desktops.

I see. UPS’s are cheap enough these days one is nuts for not having one for their desktops.

Power failure is the main cause, but there can be other situations like the OS locks up and you have to hard reset. But for vast majority, random power loss from street is the big culprit.

Power failure is the main cause, but there can be other situations like the OS locks up and you have to hard reset. But for vast majority, random power loss from street is the big culprit.
Well then, another feather in the cap of Optane, it’s DRAMless

the Dram on the SSDs are not used for caching they are solely used for PAGE table (with most SSDs with power loss protection is protecting page table) SSDs with dram less setups are typically far slower than SSDs with dram as they have to look up page directly from NAND witch is far slower then RAM

all writes on SSDs go directly to NAND

Optane is so fast it does not need ram on the ssd

This is done for warranty reasons. If you do the math you'll see the 1100 has a DWPD of 0.183 over the 3-year warranty while the MX500 has 0.192 over its 5-year warranty; longer warranty, yes, but in terms of writes/day they are nearly identical. Most consumer TLC is in the 0.3-0.6 range, so realistic endurance is probably closer to 2-3x the 1100's rating. It's limited for warranty reasons to keep people from using these SKUs for production and enterprise loads. The 1100 is, specifically, the MX300 (32-layer, older controller as compared to the 64-layer MX500) created for OEMs - the 1TB and 2TB SKUs are both 400TB TBW (compared to 360/400TB for the MX300) so it's pretty obvious they underrate these drives (and of course, the 1TB 1100 is difficult to find at a reasonable price).

Last edited:
This is done for warranty reasons. If you do the math you'll see the 1100 has a DWPD of 0.183 over the 3-year warranty while the MX500 has 0.192 over its 5-year warranty; longer warranty, yes, but in terms of writes/day they are nearly identical. Most consumer TLC is in the 0.3-0.6 range, so realistic endurance is probably closer to 2-3x the 1100's rating. It's limited for warranty reasons to keep people from using these SKUs for production and enterprise loads. The 1100 is, specifically, the MX300 (32-layer, older controller as compared to the 64-layer MX500) created for OEMs - the 1TB and 2TB SKUs are both 400TB TBW (compared to 360/400TB for the MX300) so it's pretty obvious they underrate these drives (and of course, the 1TB 1100 is difficult to find at a reasonable price).
Do IT pros replace a drive when the warranty expires regardless of the health of the drive?

Do IT pros replace a drive when the warranty expires regardless of the health of the drive?

I don't. Drives (in raid arrays) get demoted to a lesser role (such as backup arrays) if I need more space and replace them with larger drives. Usually I replace with a drive 2X to 3X the size.

Apologies if I misunderstand what you're asking. My point was that they have separate SKUs depending on the purpose, such that these drives will likely long out-last their TBW several times over but they limit it artificially so someone doesn't RMA it before the time elapses because they run it hard. Basically, three years OR 400TB, whichever comes first. The 1100 is basically a MX300 made for OEMs with the MX300 being the typical direct-consumer drive. The 5200 would be the production/enterprise variant of the MX500 (64-layer 3D TLC NAND). The low-end 5200 (ECO) is rated for up to 1 DWPD or 3.5PB TBW with a 5-year warranty - far, far higher than the MX500. So it's made to handle a lot more writes/day and is warrantied for that. And a company would likely retire/demote a drive after the warranty/TBW is exceeded on anything mission critical, but if their setup is appropriately robust they will simply swap out drives as they fail.

Last edited:
Back