Looking for feedback on new Skylake gaming/audio pc build

zadillo

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

I'm finally looking to do a new gaming build - my current PC is super old although over the years I've done various upgrades to try and keep it up to date.

Asus P5N-E SLI
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66GHz - Conroe (OC'd to 3.2 GHz)
8GB Corsair DDR2 PC2-6400 RAM (4x 2GB sticks)
XFX ATI Radeon HD 5850 Black Edition
Samsung EVO 850 500GB
Generic 500w PSU

My goal is to use this both for gaming and also for audio production/recording (I mostly use Reason but have been learning how to use Reaper and some VST's lately like the Arturia stuff, and at some point I want to get into NI Reaktor, Massive, etc).

As you can see, I'm someone who really keeps a PC for a long time, so I'm looking to be as cutting edge as possible and something that I'll be able to grow with.

My local MicroCenter just got some new 6700K CPU's in stock and I decided to just bite the bullet and finally put something together. Some of the choices made here were based on what other components my local MC had in stock, but I also tried to look up professional and user reviews of each component.

Would definitely appreciate feedback - it's been a long time since I've built a PC, and I don't really know what to expect, and I know I'll have to do some learning.

Here's what I've put together:

Case: NZXT S340 ATX (black and yellow edition)

Case Fans: 2x NZXT 140mm Performance Case Fans (which I understand I want to get for the front to compliment the two case fans the S340 comes with)

Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 850 Watt Gold Modular ATX

RAM: EVGA 16GB DDR4-2800 (PC4-22400) CL16 (4x4GB kit)

SSD (boot): Samsung 850 EVO M.2 Series 120GB

SSD: Seagate EVO 850 500GB (using this from my current PC)

HD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200 RPM

Motherboard: ASRock Z170OC-Formula LGA 1151 ATX

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX980 Ti SC w/ ACX 2.0+

My goal was to keep a budget around $2k and this mostly comes out to that ($2191.95 including tax).

Thanks! Would really appreciate any thoughts, anything you might swap out or recommend against. I know the 980 Ti is overkill for now (I only have a regular 1080p monitor), but I am interested in being able to handle more complex stuff in the future, eventually getting a Gsync monitor, Oculus Rift, etc.

I'd get a 2 x 8gb RAM set if I were you, that way you can just add 2 more sticks to upgrade to 32 gb later if you want. Plus 2 dimms are that much less stress on your CPU. I'd never buy a 4gb dimm these days. I don't see anything else but I'd wait for some feedback from others before buying.

I'd get a 2 x 8gb RAM set if I were you, that way you can just add 2 more sticks to upgrade to 32 gb later if you want. Plus 2 dimms are that much less stress on your CPU. I'd never buy a 4gb dimm these days. I don't see anything else but I'd wait for some feedback from others before buying.

Thanks! Hopefully some other people will have some suggestions/feedback as well.

Back