Looking for external amp/dac to give my pc a proper sound

HiCZoK

Gawd
Hi guys. I am currently on my onboard acl892. it's not bad but many people insist that I should get external sound card or amp+dac to get a real proper sound.

I am mostly using headphones(as for now sound blaster tactic sigma 32ohm) but I also have 2.1 cambridge soundworks creative speakers. Simple 12yo very good speakers(they connect to a back of pc by a single jack). I am never changing them :p But I might get a proper headphones in the future so keep that in mind.

Now I want to connect pc, console (via optical or rca stereo) to the device and output to that speakers and headphones. All without switching cables. I want the device to con have a volume knob.
it is proboably some kind of amp+dac in one. So It will prolly connect to pc via usb and work as a soundcard... but in that case, I want the device to also work when pc is turned off, so it either must also have it's own power adapter or battery. It would also be ok if usb could be unplugged from pc and plugged into console for power only the device but I would prefer it to be hassle free and I don't think usb device would work without pc drivers anyway.

Sound Blaster x-fi hd usb is at my price range (100$) and it looks exactly like a thing I am looking for but it is usb only and i doubt I could play on a console and listen to it thru headphones with pc turned off.
Any ideas ? Fiio D9 looks like good thing too, but it is amp only right ? but it have it's own power I think, almost all conenctions (no optical tho) and I could buy e7 for it in a few months to add dac feature to it.... But dunno. That dont seem ideal and By only getting d9 I would only increase volume of crappy realtek on pc.

So waiting for recommendations and here is an amazing paint image of what I need (i know) :cool:
BF9wUZX.png

Hi... I own the FiiO E9 (and a E07K) ... I'm happy w/ the SQ of these but not with the build quality of the E9 specifically (btw if you do go the FiiO route get the newer E09K / E07K ..as the new E09K has a switch for selecting line in / USB inputs.. where as the E9 doesn't and you basically have to pull the line in cable to use the USB ... also the E09K has rca inputs /outputs for everything vs 3.5mm line in / pre out)... So with my E9 the 1/4" headphone jack has broken twice... mine is still working after my making "repairs" -- Had to glue it back together.. still not impressed with the quality.... also I have had to use some dexoit contact cleaner on volume pot to stop static on volume change after about 2mos of owning the E9

if you got the E07K / E09K you'd be near $200

there are many other options to look at at this price range

Maveric Audio D1 Plus
http://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/tube_magic_d1
starting ~$200

Topping TP30
http://www.amazon.com/Topping-Tripa...UTF8&qid=1372083727&sr=1-22&keywords=muse+dac
$120~

many others... no more time right now... may add some more later.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So all of this completely bypass sound card (No point of owning a sound card then and I could just disable realtek ?)
And all of this can work with pc off right ? As I see they are powered by power cord.

Yeah 200$ is a little much as I am not an audiophille wannable by any means. I just want it all work without switching cables and have a decend amp/dac to make sound richer.

Topping TP30 You linked is perfect price and looks interesting. It looks like it have a switch so I could change if I want to listen my pc connected by usb or console connected by aux(rca stereo in)
So basically those are smaller size receivers ? And I've even found one(only one. kinda hard to find) on allegro.pl it don't have optical in but I guess it's not needed since there is always an option to connect sound from console by rca as mentioned. Hope ps4 will also be able to connect like that.

keep in mind, that I am from Poland. Moslty buying from
alelgro.pl
ceneo.pl
I am trying to stay in 300-400pln range. that is about 100-120$

Just get a Creative Z. You can plug in headphones and the speakers separate now. All you have to do to switch between them is select speaker or headphone in creatives control panel software. Easy.

my pci-x1 slot is covered by huge 7870 above it. no way I am squeezing it there

Back