Looking for DisplayPort to VGA hardware-based converter

aronesz

Limp Gawd
Greetings,

I am looking for a guaranteed solution that would take DisplayPort and properly convert it to VGA. Unlike HDMI, there aren't really any products out there that are devoted to DisplayPort-->VGA conversion. We have tried a Bytecc DisplayPort-->VGA adapter cable from NewEgg (highest reviewed + highest rated product) and it worked HORRIBLY -- did not work 99% of the time, and the 1% of the time it did work it didn't last very long before it would stop working.

I realize that this may require a dedicated box that can accept inputs from several different types of digital and analog plugs, and output them likewise. I just don't know what these devices are called, so I am having trouble finding them on Amazon, NewEgg, and Google. I know they exist because when I was still in high school I was looking for an RCA to VGA converter so that I could hookup my PS2 to a standard LCD monitor, and found a $90 - 150 solution that was an all-in-one dedicated hardware-based converter to consisting of many different input and output connectors.

Don't know anything off the top of my head, but have you looked at monoprice.com? They have a ton of connectors and adapters.

Go to your local Apple Store, they have DP-VGA adapters that should work. I'm using one of their miniDP->VGA adapters in my Eyefinity array now. Apple Stores are the only brick&mortars that exist practically everywhere that stock DP hardware in the US IME.

I can't find any Apple DisplayPort->VGA adapters on the internet, only Mini-DisplayPort->VGA. Our ThinClients only have DisplayPort, not Mini-DisplayPort. :(

Back