Looking for direction in creating my position (small business)

wavewerx

Limp Gawd
I've searched the forums for 'job description' and ' job title' and have found good info. I've looked up salaries, openings, and job descriptions online and have found good info. The problem is it's so across the charts I'm having trouble putting it all together.

I work for a company with about 35 people in my office, a few remote users, and a manufacturing facility overseas with another 20 - 35 users. I remote admin the overseas facility, I admin the remote users, and for the people in my office - I'm the Go-To-Guy for everything that has power > computers, HVAC, alarm system, power, etc.

I know I'm not the only one in this boat after looking at the other threads but where do you guys who are in this boat 'build' a job description and salary? What do you reference? I understand each company and position is different but I'm at a loss for a true reference point.

Comments?

Your an "Office manager" they manage aspects of the office which you listed

If you can't get away with a C level title, make yourself the director of technology or something. Granted, you don't manage anyone, but you do everything and are vitally important.

My last job was very much like what you described.

We didn't have C level titles so I was "Director of Infrastructure Operations"

Your an "Office manager" they manage aspects of the office which you listed

Sorry if my OP didn't have enough information. I thought some things were implied. I can see where you got the 'Office Manager' role from though.

I'm responsible for everything from the network and jacking to Windows Server 2k8, end user support to supporting our ERP software and servers - all spec'ed out by me. I'm getting ready to re-image our new machines here with Win 7 Pro and setup training for my users unfamiliar with it, etc etc.

CTO / Director of Technology / Director of Infrastructure Operations is more along the lines of what I was looking at or digging for except those titles have so much weight associated with them.

Yeah I hated the title myself and ended up just changing things to Systems Administrator. I didn't have the pay usually associated with a Director level position so I didn't feel it was appropriate.

You could do something like Head of Technology.

Employee hierarchy in Information Technology companies
Chief Executive Officer
Vice President
Director
Senior Project Manager / Senior Product Manager / Senior Software Architect
Project Manager / Product Manager / Software Architect
Project Lead / Senior Team Lead / Senior Technical Lead
Module Lead / Team Lead / Technical Lead
Senior Software Engineer / Senior QA Engineer
Software Engineer / QA Engineer

Office manager reminds me of The Office episode when Pam takes a fake job title and gets responsibility for ordering office furniture and fielding calls from window salesmen.

But I digress.. CTO and director titles really depend on the types of titles others have in your company, for example if you don't have corporate officers CTO isn't appropriate. On the other hand IT Admin or the like is used in some companies where multiple admins work in the same department.

"Chief" and "Director" imply that you manage people which you don't. Having that title at this point in your career can become a liability when you go to your next job interview. Having the title of "Chief Technology Officer" or "Director of Information Technology" makes you out to be a manager or an executive that manages other people and/or managers. If you're applying for other tech positions then the HR drone will simply discard your resume because you're over qualified or to expensive.

If your resume actually makes it past the HR drone to the hiring manager then your employment history will not support the sudden transition from "Tech" to "Manager/Executive" and you'll be passed over. If you do actually get an interview for a manager level position it'll take the interviewer about 10 seconds to figure out you're not a manager of people but a simple tech and that will make them take you far less seriously. Worse yet, the interview will most likely be over at that point.

Trust me. Been there. Done that. Bought the T-Shirt.

The best title you can have right now is "IT Admin", "Technology and Infrastructure Admin" or "Systems Admin." Those cover everything you're doing and makes your resume job history look much more believable. Stay away from "Senior" or anything else that denotes position. You're a one man shop and "Senior" implies there are more than one of you. Again, it'll take the interviewer 10 seconds to figure that out.

Remember: IT is not about what you're doing right now but prepairing for the job you'll have in a few years from now.

Best regards,
The Dude

(Yes, I'm a manager. Yes, I have a staff of 6. Yes, I report to a CIO with 5 other IT managers. Yes, I interview people all the time.)

Back