Looking for direction -- how to calculate / visualize optical cone of camera sensor?

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
Greetings,

I have a Nokia Lumia 1020 and I love to record rain. Thing is, this phone isn't waterproof and there isn't much of a choice out there for improving this. Out of personal and private interest, I want to see how far I could take myself in playing with SketchUp Make.

I am hoping someone here could point me to the right resource for figuring this one particular thing out. I want to determine the best closest distance for a small mirror at a 45-degree angle from the sensor of my phone. I want to see a visual of what the camera sees in a three dimensional way; if I could figure out what the cone angle is, that is probably all the information I need to know. It would be easy to map reflections and then use that to determine the size of the box.

Notes to self said:
130.4mm = total length of phone; official specifications
71.4mm = total width of phone; official specifications
10.4 mm = total thickness of phone; official specifications

7.9375 mm = thickness of phone not including camera module; manual measurement of top end of phone
2.4625 mm = thickness of camera module; total thickness of phone - thickness of phone not including camera module

41.275 mm = diameter of camera module; manual measurement (verification done through second measurement made using grip accessory with a shadow casting centered upon a tape measure)
20.6375 mm = radius of camera module; previous value / 2

30.125 mm = total margin length in width of phone on camera module origin; total width of phone - diameter of camera module
15.0625 mm = margin length in width of phone on camera module origin; previous value / 2

89.125 mm = length of phone not including diameter of camera module; total length of phone - diameter of camera module
4.7625 mm = distance from edge of glass to top-center edge of camera module; manual measurement
25.4 mm = distance from top-center edge of phone to edge of glass; manual measurement
20.6375 mm = distance from top-center edge of phone to edge of camera module; distance from top-center edge of phone to edge of glass - distance from edge of glass to inner edge of camera module going toward top-center ege of phone
68.4875 mm = distance from bottom-center edge of phone to edge of camera module; length of phone not including diameter of camera module - distance from top-center edge of phone to edge of camera module

9.525 mm = diameter of glass; manual measurement
4.7625 mm = radius of glass; previous value / 2
26.9875 mm = distance from bottom-center edge of camera module to edge of glass; diameter of camera module - distance from edge of glass to top-center edge of camera module - diameter of glass

All that pertains to the official specifications of phone detailing width x length x height
"Segoe UI" (or Segoe UI Semilight) = font-family
11.5667px = font-size
#595959 = color
50 = tracking (Photoshop)

NL1020_Measurements.png

Photoshop PSD download here

NL1020_Vectors2400DPI_Front_768px-MaxDimension.png

Photoshop PSD download here (100% made with vectors, 2400 DPI, exact scale)

NL1020_Vectors2400DPI_Side_768px-MaxDimension.png

Photoshop PSD download here (100% made with vectors, 2400 DPI, exact scale)

The idea would be to mount the phone face down. Relative to the center origin of the glass in the camera module would be an industrial mirror of high reflectivity and minimal absorption of light at a 45° angle. The distance from the origin of the mirror to the origin of the glass is presently unknown; a calculation is required to find the most optimal distance between the two.

Furthermore, after such calculation is performed a second calculation will need to be performed relative to the origin of the mirror whilst factoring in the reflection of the camera sensors cone of sight. This second calculation is needed to identify how large of an opening to the rain-tight chassis is necessary without intersecting with the cone of sight, and also what distance from the origin of the mirror the opening needs to be.*

* The distance from the origin of the mirror is relative to the overall design of the rain-tight chassis. Until the rest of the chassis is designed this is an unknown variable.

A few things should be taken into consideration for the overall design of the rain-tight chassis:
  • Room would be made to be able to insert and store a RAVPower RP-PB11 Xtreme 15000mAh External Battery with official dimensions of 150*80*21mm
  • The rain-tight chassis would have a standard threading meeting ISO 1222:2010 specifications for mounting to a tripod
  • The mount for the phone itself would feature a filter screw threading for 52mm lens filters to allow for polarizers, infrared, UV protection, ND, and other creative filters
  • It may be ideal for the top of the rain-tight chassis to be the part of the product that is removed for access to the contents of the chassis. There would be a gasket piece that creates the rain-tight seal; to create pressure, either a latching mechanism similar to or that of US6955381 B2 ("double throw latch") or large screws with a rubber washer could be used. I think permission to use the patented double throw latch would be required, so it would be cheaper and easier to just use screws with rubber washers that would also make the product readily repairable by any user with access to hardware shops.
  • A way for being able to use the touchscreen of the phone must be possible. I had originally thought of perhaps using a sheet of some strong but flexible plastic that could in itself possibly used as a gasket to make the enclosure rain-tight. The material used in the Aquapac Waterproof SLR Camera Case (AQUA-458) surprisingly works and is thicker than your average saran wrap and zip-lock bag. Either need to find where to get rolls of the same material or find a similar, perhaps even potentially better material that allows for touch to be detected by the phone.
  • The interior of the enclosure would be lined with a material that is excellent at absorbing light for the purpose of reducing undesired light inside the enclosure and thus maximizing the potential quality of imagery
  • I haven't thought of anything for the opening past the mirror how it would be sealed or what shape it would be. I imagine it would probably be a circular port. I think sealing it would be super easy -- some good ultra clear+flat plexiglass with a gasket and screws with rubber washers would do the trick.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back