Looking for DDR5 sources without getting scalped!

les_garten

Limp Gawd
I just got an i9-12900K and an Asus Maximus Hero board. I need 64GB DDR5 around 5600-6000.

Anybody have any sources? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

I just got an i9-12900K and an Asus Maximus Hero board. I need 64GB DDR5 around 5600-6000.

Anybody have any sources? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
I don't think those speeds will be available to the general public, until the end of the month. And I don't expect good supply.

Yeah I guess I have to wait I was going to buy a DDR4 MB untill I saw a 15FPS increase with DDR5 on a recent Youtube video.

Yeah I guess I have to wait I was going to buy a DDR4 MB untill I saw a 15FPS increase with DDR5 on a recent Youtube video.
There is some games where 3200c14 is a bit faster than 6600c36 and others where 6600c36 is a fair bit quicker but on average they perform similar.

If you were to get DDR4 4800C17 I don't doubt that it would spank current DDR5 kits on average.
One day there will be faster DDR5 kits but that may also require IMC improvements.

Last edited:
Another thing about it, is the DDR4 3200 is running in gear 1 mode.

DDR5 runs in gear 2, which has twice the starting latency.

Gear 1 is stable to about 3733mhz. I still haven’t seen anyone compare at least DDR4 3600 to any DDR5.

I'm still debating whether to use my DDR4 3600 CL16-19-19-39 kit, or just wait for DDR5. Certainly not going to pay $1000 for a kit off eBay.

I'm still debating whether to use my DDR4 3600 CL16-19-19-39 kit, or just wait for DDR5. Certainly not going to pay $1000 for a kit off eBay.
If I didn't want the Asus Hero board for connectivity, it would be a No brainer to get a DDR4 board for me. The reviews show DDR4 3200 working as well as DDR5 6000

Man, am I getting tired of looking for DDR5 memory...
Same. Debating whether I should just return my 12700K.

Whatever stock does show up will be instantly scalped, and most DDR4 boards seem to suck...on purpose I suspect. I cannot use any of the ASUS boards due to their VRM clearance issues, and Gigabyte is very unstable.

Whatever stock does show up will be instantly scalped, and most DDR4 boards seem to suck...on purpose I suspect. I cannot use any of the ASUS boards due to their VRM clearance issues, and Gigabyte is very unstable.

Exactly. I would hold on till after Cyber Monday at least. The DDR4 Asus board doesn't do it for me either.

The early adopter tax. Everyone pays it who jumps on board initially. That’s basically how it has always been and with the current shortages I don’t see that changing.

The early adopter tax. Everyone pays it who jumps on board initially. That’s basically how it has always been and with the current shortages I don’t see that changing.

I ain't got any problem with that. Just wish I could find 'em.

Man, am I getting tired of looking for DDR5 memory...
Its going to be like trying to find a gpu last year. You and everyone else under the sun are competing for the same few kits. The moment they hit web sites they are instantly out of stock.

Nobody's buying DDR5 because the RAM is faster. People want DDR5 because it's the only way to run Alder Lake on decent motherboards.

I'd stick with DDR4 if they made feature-complete DDR4 motherboards, but they don't.

Nobody's buying DDR5 because the RAM is faster. People want DDR5 because it's the only way to run Alder Lake on decent motherboards.

I'd stick with DDR4 if they made feature-complete DDR4 motherboards, but they don't.

^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^

Below is an actual Photograph of me taken a scant 5 minutes ago. I have 64GB of DDR5 on order with Dell. It was supposed to ship on 12/7 deliver on 12/15. Hasn't moved, paid too much for it, and goin' BatChitt Crazy waitin' for it, don't even know if they got it! Every 5 minutes I scour about 10 websites lookin for more RAM. Got a Asus Maximus Hero, 12900K, and (2) 2TB WD SN850 M.2s and a bunch of other stuff in a corner in my office taunting me. That's it! 15 yards for Taunting!

CRAZY TIME!

I've been wondering if going a ddr5 motherboard is worth it over a ddr4 one when the gaming benefits are sometimes less with ddr5. I've got a 32gb xpg ddr5 5200 kit that I got lucky with and it's just sitting cause I'm not sure what to do yet I guess like someone else said, if the ddr4 boards were as feature rich as the ddr5 ones with the only difference being the ram type used, I definitely would have went a ddr4 board. I guess the ddr5 boards are more premium with no memory performance benefit from the start, but will just will have to wait for the super fast ddr5 to come out and go down in price.

Been getting real tired of Newegg dangling G.Skill DDR5 kits but only with motherboard combos. Considering I picked up a Maximus Hero board from Newegg a couple weeks ago, this just feels ridiculous.

Been getting real tired of Newegg dangling G.Skill DDR5 kits but only with motherboard combos. Considering I picked up a Maximus Hero board from Newegg a couple weeks ago, this just feels ridiculous.
Newegg was amazing 20 years ago, they fucking suck now.. I would rather them just charge near "scalper" prices then do this shuffle shit and bundling them with random crap.

HUH?!?

That is a good idea because scalpers would be stuck with the MB.

I have a DH-15 on mt Hero Board with 2 Fans
It's something people have been saying. While I have an APEX board for review and own an Extreme, I do not use air cooling for anything. So I have no way to verify if the issue is legitimate.

The VRM coolers on the ASUS Maximus boards are rather tall. Tall enough it seems to cause issues with some larger air coolers.
Now, I understand. I don't know anything about the Maximus boards, though. :)

It's something people have been saying. While I have an APEX board for review and own an Extreme, I do not use air cooling for anything. So I have no way to verify if the issue is legitimate.

It is not all of the Asus z690 boards. The fact it is happening on any of them is bizarre. Mine fit fine on my Hero board.

It is not all of the Asus z690 boards. The fact it is happening on any of them is bizarre. Mine fit fine on my Hero board.
I've only seen the Maximus Z690 boards out of ASUS' lineup in person.

Last edited:
Btw I'm able to find DDR5 in stock in several places now, hopefully you were able to find some, OP!

Btw I'm able to find DDR5 in stock in several places now, hopefully you were able to find some, OP!

I actually was able to order 2 32gb Sticks from Dell and got them early this month. I did see this week they were all over the place. Finding 32GB sticks were still difficult.

My local Microcenter has several DDR5 kits in stock now.
You people who have local Microcenter Stores...

I just wanna beat ya! Beat ya like a Baby Seal...

dflp81-81498f3f-e3bd-4adf-a4d0-dabeeeecd4f0.jpg

Attachments

• dflp81-81498f3f-e3bd-4adf-a4d0-dabeeeecd4f0.jpg
    dflp81-81498f3f-e3bd-4adf-a4d0-dabeeeecd4f0.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 0
New Egg has 32 kits of Gskill Trident for 360.00 for 5600mhz and 6000mhz along with Rip Jaw.

I won't upgrade untill I see if Raptor Lake will socket a Z690 I know Z790 boards are in production.

Back