Looking for DD-WRT compatible router suggestions

Loki008

2[H]4U
Good morning. I am looking for a stable router that supports DD-WRT. I dont need a ton of bells and whistles, no wifi or anything like that. I just want something that is rock solid and wont need rebooting on a regular basis and will support DD-WRT. The reason I am looking for this is i would like a router that i can connect my home network to a VPN. I can connect via PTPP, IPSec, or OpenVPN. I figured i would ask on here before randomly trying routers off the supported list as from my experience technically supported and a good experience dont always go hand in hand.

Thanks

I use an Asus RT-N16 with wireless disabled with OpenVPN and some other services. Fast as lightning. I think it's running a 16xxx build.

DD-WRT is so 2000-late, it's all about pfSense, Untangle, MikroTik, Ubiquity EdgeRouter, or full blown Cisco ASA's these days.

No but seriously if you're insistent on using DD-WRT you should probably hit up their forums and find out what is considered the most stable build there. I say most stable because the last official "stable" build is from 2009, but due to vulnerabilities discovered since then you shouldn't use it.

P.S. Don't use PPTP, it's like wearing a swiss cheese condom.

Im not set on DD-WRT. I was going there as I used it before (in the 2000's like you said :-P ) and have some knowledge with it.

The other reason i was thinking DD-WRT was for the features I am looking for I figured it would be cost effective. If I can get one of the other solutions you mentioned reasonably ill gladly go that route.

If you want a 3rd party firmware use OpenWRT which DD-WRT uses bits n pieces from anyway.
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 or WDR4300 are solid choices and better than the N16 by far.
//Danne

DD-WRT is so 2000-late, it's all about pfSense, Untangle, MikroTik, Ubiquity EdgeRouter, or full blown Cisco ASA's these days.

No but seriously if you're insistent on using DD-WRT you should probably hit up their forums and find out what is considered the most stable build there. I say most stable because the last official "stable" build is from 2009, but due to vulnerabilities discovered since then you shouldn't use it.

P.S. Don't use PPTP, it's like wearing a swiss cheese condom.

You can pick up Linksys/Cisco E1200 for $50 and flash DD-WRT on it. While all solutions you proposed are great, can't beat DD-WRT for a price.

Very good idea if you want to buy old and overpriced hardware indeed

Linksys E1200
Broadcom 300Mhz CPU , 8(flash)/32(RAM) - Singleband

TP-Link TL-WDR3600
Atheros 560Mhz CPU, 8(flash)/128(RAM) - Dual band
60$ at Microcenter as an example
//Danne

Very good idea if you want to buy old and overpriced hardware indeed

Linksys E1200
Broadcom 300Mhz CPU , 8(flash)/32(RAM) - Singleband

TP-Link TL-WDR3600
Atheros 560Mhz CPU, 8(flash)/128(RAM) - Dual band
60$ at Microcenter as an example
//Danne

Not bad. I may have to pick it up to replace my old E1200

EdgeRouter Lite:
Dual core MIPS64 @ 500MHz w/ packet processing hardware
512MB RAM
2GB flash
up to 1,000,000PPS
$99 MSRP
can use old router as wireless access in AP mode, can easily NAT a 1Gbit connection.

That would surely buttleneck, while the Cavium platform seems nice its not going to do wonders...
//Danne

A cheap, sub$30, DD-WRT solution is to go with Buffalo routers. Most of them officially support DD-WRT so you can actually get tech support from Buffalo. Yes it's running the last "stable" ver from 2009 so depending on your work you might want a different solution.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you want to use OpenVPN then get as fast CPU as possible (i.e not the E1200) since does not benefit from hardware acceleration.
//Danne

If you want a 3rd party firmware use OpenWRT which DD-WRT uses bits n pieces from anyway.
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 or WDR4300 are solid choices and better than the N16 by far.
//Danne

Just converted to an i3-3220 16gb DDR3, SSD box running pfSense with dual Intel NICs (WAN LAN)

I converted my old TP-Link 1043ND router running DD-WRT to an access point and plugged it into my switch. That 1043ND running DD-WRT ran for a solid year without a single restart while on a UPS. I had a 24port gigabit switch feeding it and numerous phones, ipads and printers on its wireless. I had the replacement 8dBi triple antennae installed for better range. This was a great router. I was forever making adjustments and tweaks without needing to restart like my previous D-Link DIR-655.

I wanted a more flexible and expandable security appliance, web caching and more.

Just converted to an i3-3220 16gb DDR3, SSD box running pfSense with dual Intel NICs (WAN LAN)

I converted my old TP-Link 1043ND router running DD-WRT to an access point and plugged it into my switch. That 1043ND running DD-WRT ran for a solid year without a single restart while on a UPS. I had a 24port gigabit switch feeding it and numerous phones, ipads and printers on its wireless. I had the replacement 8dBi triple antennae installed for better range. This was a great router. I was forever making adjustments and tweaks without needing to restart like my previous D-Link DIR-655.

I wanted a more flexible and expandable security appliance, web caching and more.

That is insanely overkill for pfsense unless you have a very large network (lots of active users). But if you got it and dont mind paying for it, more power to ya ;)

I was thinking pfSense on a NUC might be nice, torn between that and trying out one of those ubiquity edge routers.

While the edge routers have great numbers on paper they'll never challange a NUC in terms of raw power and speed. That said, a normal router will more than likely be fine for you unless you want to run a web cache or something. Depending on devices hardware NAT doesn't always works as intended...
//Danne

Back