Looking for Critique... Pulling Trigger Soon

FlipperBizkut

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello. I have been wanting to build an HTPC for some time now, and I believe that I am about ready to move forward. If you could take a second to look over my prospective build and let me know if you see anything that you believe I should be aware of.

Case:
Fractal Design Core 1000 - $47
- or -
SilverStone ML03B - $57
(I really like the ML03B case, but I don't really have room for it with my other components right now, so it would probably end up residing on top of my sub for the time being. If I get the mini-tower, I could put it beside the TV stand, and that would be fine. But I really like the ML03B case better. Also, the USB3 on the front of the ML03B case would make it easier for me to attach my external for backup purposes, so that is definitely a plus.)

Power Supply:
CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 - $45 ($10 Rebate – 10/31/12)

Motherboard:
ASRock H77M - $70

Processor:
Intel Core i3-3225 - $140
(I chose this over the i3-3220 just on the off chance I would try to load up a game or something. I figured the $20 difference wouldn't kill me.)

Ram:
Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) - $26
(Not sure if I should be worried about the tall heat spreaders or not. I am planning on using the stock cooler for the i3, or perhaps a stock cooler I have from my i5 2500k if it would be slightly better.)

SSD:
Intel X25-M 80GB - $60 ($20 Rebate – 10/31/12)

HDD:
Seagate Barracuda 7200 3TB - $120

USB IR Receiver + Remote:
Rosewill RHRC-11002 - $14
(I guess this remote will do for now, but I will ultimately want to get a Harmony or some other universal.)

This will not be hardwired into my network, so I will need some sort of wireless interface. I would assume that USB is the way to go here. Any recommendations? My router is a g router, so n isn't all that important. Range shouldn't be an issue (at least it isn't for my laptop which stays in the same room that this build will go in), so I don't know if I should be looking for an adapter with an antenna or not.

Other than that, I have Windows 8 ready, and I will load that up on the SSD. I plan on running XBMC for the front end, and will not be doing any TV tuning for now. This will basically be a jukebox for my Blu Ray rips and the such.

Opinions most welcomed.

Thanks for looking.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
(I really like the ML03B case, but I don't really have room for it with my other components right now, so it would probably end up residing on top of my sub for the time being.
No. A world of no. Subs vibrate, and vibration kills hard drives; walks connectors off of pins; could feasibly loosen and unseat heatsinks.

This will not be hardwired into my network, so I will need some sort of wireless interface. I would assume that USB is the way to go here. Any recommendations? My router is a g router, so n isn't all that important. Range shouldn't be an issue (at least it isn't for my laptop which stays in the same room that this build will go in), so I don't know if I should be looking for an adapter with an antenna or not.
If you're going to be streaming HD video, wireless G is not going to cut it. For that matter, if there's a microwave within 50 feet of you, I'd argue 2.4ghz won't cut it either. Now would be the time to look at a decent dual-band router.

Funny that I hadn't even considered the vibrations of the sub! That would certainly not be pretty!

I'm looking at my TV stand, and I may be able to make it work there if I either stack the computer on the DirecTV receiver, or vice versa. I'll have to measure to be sure. What do you think about heat in that case?

I'm not going to be doing any streaming to this machine. The wireless would be for connection to the internet, and possibly file transfers (the speed of which would matter little). I would just want to make sure I could hit 3Mbps (my downstream bandwidth limit).

dude I love corsair but that psu has a whine. I bought one and got the whine. I did an RMA and got the whine. I ended selling it. Just a heads up man. it was indeed a v2. I am just speaking from my experience.

seems pretty reasonable except I'd look at getting a modular PSU that way you can improve cooling on that case which looks a little cramped...
When you buy a Harmony remote down the line you'll need an IR receiver anyway, that Rosewill is probably compatible, maybe want to check it out so you can reuse.

dude I love corsair but that psu has a whine. I bought one and got the whine. I did an RMA and got the whine. I ended selling it. Just a heads up man. it was indeed a v2. I am just speaking from my experience.

I wonder if the CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W has the same issue with the whining. The 500w is $50 and has a $20 rebate with it too. It's not modular like matteos suggested, but I just happened across it, and thought I would ask about it.

seems pretty reasonable except I'd look at getting a modular PSU that way you can improve cooling on that case which looks a little cramped...
When you buy a Harmony remote down the line you'll need an IR receiver anyway, that Rosewill is probably compatible, maybe want to check it out so you can reuse.

Newegg reviewer stated that they were using the IR dongle with a Harmony remote, so I think it should be good to go.

Ends up that they sold out of the ram and the SSD that I was looking at. I went ahead and jumped on a Samsung 830 Series 128GB so as not to be left out in the cold on the SSD. Waiting on the ram seems like it will end up increasing the cost of that component by 50%.

I checked back at Newegg to see if, by chance, the ram had come back in stock. I guess I checked at exactly the right time because I was able to grab a set. Checked again right after, and it is now back out of stock.

Back