Looking for critique on new system...

Killa|3yte

2[H]4U
Hey folks, my wife and I are spec'ing out a new system we want to build. It's been some years since I lived on these forums, so I'm a bit rusty, was hoping I could get some guru feedback to ensure I've not put two parts together that just aren't going to work.

Here are the components:

6600 Conroe
EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 nForce 680i
2x MSI 8800 Ultras
4x 1GB DDR2 800 RAM
Thermaltake 850W PSU
Kinda a weird case with 2x250 mm fans (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811103010)

Total on the egg: $2,217

Specific points of concern, we want to build a system that's more-or-less bleeding edge, but we still want to keep bang-for-the-buck to a maximum (meaning I really dont want to drop another $800 on a processor that's not going to do that much). Are we skimping on power? The only component i'm not totally satisfied with is the case, I want something to match the rest of the system without breaking the bank, but I want to be able to pull the heat off the SLI 8800 Ultras.

Thanks for any feedback!

This aint really the place for this thread so it'll probably end up moved. As for your system, looks fine to me. If that's what you're happy with, go for it.

2 x 2gb sticks of memory might be a better bet. Hell, if you have that much money you might as well do 2 sticks instead of 4.

Sweet set-up.

But man that case looks kinda wierd. Sorry looks are subjective, so as long as you dont mind, thats what matters.

Since your spending $2k, you might want to consider the Q6600 for ~$280 (quad core cpu). The E6600 is only ~$50 cheaper (~$230). If you still want duo core, the E6750 is under $200.

The 2 video cards are a tad spendy. I would wait for the 8800GT to release and see how they preform. If nothing else it will probably reduce the price of the 8800ULTRAs by a good amount.

I am not a fan of Thermaltake power supplies. I only use them for low-midrange builds. I would consider Antec, Enermax, FSP Group (Fortron Source), or PC Power & Cooling for a highend computer power supply (maybe Corsair or OCZ).

I would also consider 2x2GB sticks of RAM instead of 1x4GB stick. It will be cheaper and you will get better memory timings.

8800GT to release and see how they preform. If nothing else it will probably reduce the price of the 8800ULTRAs by a good amount.

from what i understand the 8800gt is between the gts and gtx. someone correct me if im wrong.

The E6750 is faster than the E6600 and it's cheaper. So go with that instead.

systems fine. 680i doesn't always cooperate with high oc + 4 gigs ram, regardless, if you want SLI, its your best option, and I'm sure you'll still push 3Ghz.

Your right. It is supposed to set down right between GTS and GTX.
Actually I would just recommend 2 8800GTXs and OC them. The only reason I have my Ultra's over my GTXs is cause I got my Ultra's free from work.

Your right. It is supposed to set down right between GTS and GTX.
Actually I would just recommend 2 8800GTXs and OC them. The only reason I have my Ultra's over my GTXs is cause I got my Ultra's free from work.

where the hell do u work!!??!?!!?

Back