Looking for CPU air cooling for ASUS striker

sd11

[H]ard|Gawd
With help from here and the corsair forums I've managed to get the striker working, though I'm currently on stock intel (yuck) cooling.

One thing I'm nervous about is that the heatpipe cooling on the board currently runs extremely hot, so I'm looking for an HSF that can help move air over that as well. It seems that HSFs that blast air down onto the area are better for this then ones which jet air directly out the back. And since I have a high CFM silverstone fan pulling out of the case I'm not overly worried about that yet.

I'm looking at these two options
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5...al_CPU_Cooler_Intel_and_AMD.html?tl=g40c14s52
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5...5_and_AMD_Socket_754939_940.html?tl=g40c14s52

Any thoughts on if those will fit on the board?

There is no way the second one will fit over the heatpipes, let alone the dominator ram fan.

The first one might have the same issue. Bear in mind that the heatpiples are slightly less then 60mm from the center of the CPU socket, so the area is almost exactly 120mm.

Anything would either have to fit in that foot print, or clear it.

The Enzotech Ultra-X is your best bet. For the same price as the NT06, it performs at least several degrees better than the NT-06, and even a couple degrees lower than the GeminII. By the way its $59.95 at Jab-Tech

sounds like the case for a waterblock to me

I've been debating liquid cooling for a bit now. but there are some issues with that. Namely I don't have the tools to cut the case up and as is I don't have room to install a radiator inside the case. Having one of the smaller kits and pushing the tubes through a PCI slot bracket to an external radiator. The problem with that is the asus sound card (not really a dedicated card but it takes up the space of one eats the the slot that would have been open. The SLI 8800's eat up the others.

I don't want to run tubing between them because I plan on plunking a third card or a PPU in their a couple months down the line.

The best option I can think of for liquid would be using one of those front intake 3x5.25 to 120mm fan adaptors and putting the radiator there, I'm open to options.

I guess I should take some pics.

The other issue is that liquid cooling removes airflow from the heatpipes and fins, as is this board runs hot.

The Enzotech Ultra-X is your best bet. For the same price as the NT06, it performs at least several degrees better than the NT-06, and even a couple degrees lower than the GeminII.

Thanks, are you sure it clears the board?

Back