Looking for CCFL FullHD monitor

strenng

n00b
Hi, I’m looking for 24" monitor with CCFL backlight. I understand that it’s probably impossible to find a new with this backlight. So, I will probably pick some secondhand.

Do you have any tips? The newer ones will be officially better.

Ideally if someone can post a list of existing FullHD CCFL monitors will be great.

I don't think they make any displays with a CCFL backlight anymore. Do you mind if I ask why you want one?

Best bet would probably be a used U2410.

You will have more luck with 1920x1200 24" monitors. There was quite a few models to choose. All 60Hz and most if not all had scalers that added a frame to two frames of input lag so ok-ish for desktop but not so much for games.
One of the best sRGB gamut monitors would be NEC 2490WUXi with its A-TW polarizer and hardware calibration. Should be good if you look something for eyestrain. It is becoming quite hard to find one these days though.

The question however is: why do you need CCFL?

There are lots of guides on replacing CCFL backlight with a LED one, but not the other way around.
CCFL Warehouse has a bunch of CCFL stuff, kits and such, but honestly I have no idea where to begin with this one.

The reason, why i need CCFL is because I just realize that LED backlight cause me an eyestrain, even if monitor has antiflicker and blue light reduction.

For example Ausus VG245 causes me eyestrain (Has blue light filter and antiflicker technology), but the Flatron W2343T is ok for me (Flicker a lot as many other CCFL monitors). I also experience with other LED monitors and I’m not comfortable to work with it.

The reason, why i need CCFL is because I just realize that LED backlight cause me an eyestrain, even if monitor has antiflicker and blue light reduction.

For example Ausus VG245 causes me eyestrain (Has blue light filter and antiflicker technology), but the Flatron W2343T is ok for me (Flicker a lot as many other CCFL monitors). I also experience with other LED monitors and I’m not comfortable to work with it.
Well there are a few issues with the VG245:
  • Bottom-of-the-barrel TN panel
  • Only 60 Hz
  • Uses heavy matte anti-glare coating
  • One of the poorest black uniformity ratings I've seen
Did you properly calibrate the monitor? LED backlights get a lot brighter than CCFL do, and you often need to turn the brightness down significantly to get it to a comfortable 100 nits. My last TN panel, the PG278Q, needed the brightness to be turned down to 10-15 out of 100 to reach that level of brightness. Brightness isn't the only thing, though. Poor color settings can also increase eye stress.

Well there are a few issues with the VG245:
  • Bottom-of-the-barrel TN panel
  • Only 60 Hz
  • Uses heavy matte anti-glare coating
  • One of the poorest black uniformity ratings I've seen
Did you properly calibrate the monitor? LED backlights get a lot brighter than CCFL do, and you often need to turn the brightness down significantly to get it to a comfortable 100 nits. My last TN panel, the PG278Q, needed the brightness to be turned down to 10-15 out of 100 to reach that level of brightness. Brightness isn't the only thing, though. Poor color settings can also increase eye stress.
VG245 is 75Hz but i have no issues with CCFL 60hz monitors

I also experience eyestrain with DELL UltraSharp U2412M which is a IPS panel.

Can you please better explain “Uses heavy matte anti-glare coating” what is wrong with it and for what coating I should look in monitors ?

I tried to set brightness to 10-15 but in so low brightness will be visible some kind of “pixel shaping” when you working on grid (like transparent images on standard white-gray grid) and its verry uncomfortable.

VG245 is 75Hz but i have no issues with CCFL 60hz monitors

I also experience eyestrain with DELL UltraSharp U2412M which is a IPS panel.

Can you please better explain “Uses heavy matte anti-glare coating” what is wrong with it and for what coating I should look in monitors ?

I tried to set brightness to 10-15 but in so low brightness will be visible some kind of “pixel shaping” when you working on grid (like transparent images on standard white-gray grid) and its verry uncomfortable.
Heavy antiglare coatings can have a grainy look to them. Makes the display look almost if it's permanently dirty. You don't find these on many monitors anymore but I don't know how it applies to cheap ones.

Setting brightness low on a decent monitor should not have any effect on the image quality, just brightness. Make sure you don't have any sharpening enabled. Different monitors behave differently for this. On some the "no sharpening setting" is zero, on others it might be 50 or for insane reasons on some Samsungs it's 56.

For reference, I ran the PG278Q at about 20 brightness and run my Samsung CRG9 at 15 for 120 nits. Modern monitors are capable of insane levels of brightness and that can contribute to eye fatigue. My girlfriend is more sensitive to brightness so she would run these monitors at close to zero brightness setting.

Built-in blue light filter doesn't always work that great from my experience. Have you tried F.lux?

This Asus probably uses the same terrible panel as Dell did. Light from these things is terrible.
Just get cheapest 27" 2560x1440 >100Hz monitor that claims close to 100% DCI-P3. These have good panels and should not cause any strain and it will be good for gaming also.

Have you tested Apple screens or LG NanoIPS? (near 100 percent DCI-P3)

Their premium, more balanced spectrum LEDs still cause eyestrain for you? I know a few who fixed eyestrain that way.

Not a guarantee, but an option to be aware of. If a recent iPad does not create eyestrain, get a monitor that uses similar LEDs.

Last edited:
Back