Looking for an mp3 player other then ipod

zombix

[H]ard|Gawd
I format my PC quite frequently and would like an mp3 player other then ipod due to the headache of trying to get the player to sync after a format.

Im quite new to these things so is there a player that i believe creative makes that would be good for just music playback on a portable device?

And whats a good program to use that would let me download a ton of music without itunes 1 dollar a song type thing.

I think this topic belongs here if it doesnt then im sorry.

ANyways thanks

zune also has a subsriction service so you can download as much as you want for a monthly fee. it also handles podcasts which i like. targets got the 30g on clearance for 95$ if your looking.

yeah really going to look into this one...

What about formats on the pc will i have to worry about the zune working on one pc? Or still working on a newly formatted pc without having to call like apple to get them to believe i still am the owner and not someone that has stolen a zune and trying to use it on a different pc?

how much storage do you need?

i own a cowon d2 with 10gb and it's cool little device.
simply drag and drop the files on it and there you go.

I don't have any mp3 player suggestions, but as far as formatting is concerned, you just need to make sure that you deauthorize the computer before you format. then, when you reinstall windows just reauthorize the computer.

I know that sometimes when you reformat, itunes will make you copy the songs again onto your ipod. to avoid that, save the xml and itl files from your itunes folder (usually under C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]\My Documents\My Music\iTunes) and put them back after the reformat.

just some things to think about before you spend money on a new player.

I would join in with the recommendation for the Cowon D2. (After all, it's "invincible". lol)

It is a touchscreen, which takes a little getting used to, but the battery life is amazing (Cowon claims 50+ hours), the sound quality is good, and with the price of SDHC cards falling rapidly, storage shouldn't be an issue.

Happy hunting.

Great thanks for the info on both the zune and the cowon really good read here.

Ill be looking into both these products.

Buy an mp3 player that is not proprietary in any way and acts pretty much like a USB thumb drive. Creative makes those. I have a Creative Zen Stone but I have to say the amp in it is on the weak side. It is very small so that is why. Then you can use any mp3 service and software you choose. Good free software to use with an mp3 player would be MediaMonkey or WinAmp.

Try the Samsung YP-P2 (also known simply as the "P2").

I use mine in conjunction with Napster music service, and it's great... but if you do format all the time, you loose the "rights", which can be a pain... you get to re-download again for free, but you have to re-download... I expect that to be a problem with all subscription services though.

Well, you could download from the Russian sites where the mp3's have no copy protection and are a lot cheaper then they are in the U.S. The RIAA really wants to bust their balls but they can't touch them. I've never used them to download mp3's but have looked at what they have to offer.

I format my PC quite frequently and would like an mp3 player other then ipod due to the headache of trying to get the player to sync after a format.

Im quite new to these things so is there a player that i believe creative makes that would be good for just music playback on a portable device?

And whats a good program to use that would let me download a ton of music without itunes 1 dollar a song type thing.

I think this topic belongs here if it doesnt then im sorry.

ANyways thanks

You don't have to use iTunes, there are plenty of other programs like Ephpod (free) or Anapod Explorer (commercial). I personally find iTunes to be a complete turd and do not use it on this PC. Ephpod is my choice of syncing program.

Try the Samsung YP-P2 (also known simply as the "P2").

I use mine in conjunction with Napster music service, and it's great... but if you do format all the time, you loose the "rights", which can be a pain... you get to re-download again for free, but you have to re-download... I expect that to be a problem with all subscription services though.

Download tunebite, it's a legal application. DRM what???

A friend of mine just got this XM MP3 player on close out at Sears for $40!!! Great looking player for the money, b/c not only does it store MP3s, but you can listen to XM stations most anywhere, and can even record off of XM as well. Food for thought.

Back