Looking for an LGA1150 board that can designate "PCI" as primary graphics

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
Hey Guys,

I currently have Z87 G41 "PC Mate" spare motherboard with a GTX 670 & GTX 680 installed with an 800w power supply. I want to pass those two video cards to two kvm guests. The problem is that My e3-1240v3 cpu doesn't have onboard graphics & I can't designate a PCI (not pci-e) video card as "primary" for the host OS.

Does anyone know of any Z87/Z97 boards where I can designate a pci graphics card as "primary" so I can pass through my two pci-e cards to guests? I'd like to keep it under $100 & would prefer to buy new.

Last edited:
Don't know if this is entirely possible since my Asus Z77 and my Gigabyte H67 didn't seem to come with options to set the primary graphics as PCI despite having PCI slots (and are way older than the Z87/97 and more likely to support PCI GPUs in the way you need).

I don't know if the option is simply missing because I didn't have any PCI card/GPU in at that time, but from what I remember in reading those manuals, the BIOS options listed did not appear to show PCI as an option for the primary GPU.

Hoping you do find a board that does though.

I'm not aware of any boards where this is possible, my first thought is that it's likely an EFI related issue.

What about using a PCI-E 1x GPU? Cheaper than buying a new board :p.

Something like this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500395

I actually have one, but if I drop it in the pci-e x1 slot & then drop in my two video cards, the pcie-x16 slot still comes up as primary....

I could easily settle for a board that lets me select which pci-e slot (or which installed graphics card) is primary. That would work as well. Then I'd drop in my pci-ex quadro nvs 285 (or maybe it's a 290)...

Ahh that's a shame. Does the Z87 G41 let you select PCI if you switch the boot mode to CSM from EFI? It's been quite a while since I touched one of those boards.

Ahh that's a shame. Does the Z87 G41 let you select PCI if you switch the boot mode to CSM from EFI? It's been quite a while since I touched one of those boards.

I will try to give that a shot....thanks for the idea.

Back