looking for an efficient and quiet file server ps

dualblade

Supreme [H]ardness
nothing special with the file server. lousy graphics card since the machine never gets used directly. looking for a bunch of leads, but i don't mind using adapters (4pin molex to sata). machine is a p4 6xx (i think it's 3ghz). i'm looking to spend as little as possible, without getting a "cheap" supply. i don't care about brand at all, and certainly don't need one of the more recent kilowatt supplies. my hard drives seem to take about .6a on the 12v and 5v rails (sata/ide 7200rpm drives) so we're not talking about serious load here. i'm doing calculations based on up to 14 hard drives so maybe ~20a on the 12v at max?

Try the Corsair HX 520. Single railed madness. Of doom.

thanks very much for your suggestions, but it seems like the corsair psu is a bit overkill. i can't imagine myself needing a $120 520w psu for a server. it does make sense for me to only use a single railed supply. i like the fsp supply, but it's a bit short on connectors. i guess the ideal ps for me would be something like 350-400w with a ton of drive connectors. it's tough to find such a thing now, since good supplies have gone much higher wattage with specialty connectors (eps, pci-e) that i just can't use.

7200's do take more than .2 though. Yolu're looking in the neighborhood of about 2 amps for spin up or so.

You also want single rail. It won't limit it so if your cpu only draws 7a, and your other rail is fucking overloaded, it'll continue to be overloaded. Single is the future.

I'd also pass on the FSP. It's the AX series, = budget, and not as good as some others. That, and it's not exactly a steller provider of clean, stable voltages, or enough.

At EastLuna, they've got a Silverstone ST56ZF, single 38a rail, for just a bit over 100. I'd totally hop on that.

Efficient + Quite - Cheap = $100+ psu.

You should look at the corsair HX 520 or the Seasonic series power supplies. Corsair just had a sale on their HX 520 PSU's for $88 shipped, but that deal ended yesterday I think.

Back