Looking for An Automated Windows Backup Solution (more inside)

svet-am

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking for an automated Windows backup solution that will preserve the directory structure of the files on the server.

here's the use case:
In our current setup, we have a set of SAMBA shares that include VIDEOS, IMAGES, AUDIO, etc.

The benefit here is that my wife and can put files out there in the appropriate directory and then I can browse to that location from my laptop or desktop and find what I'm looking for.

We've tried SyncToy in the past but got burned by the bugs covering directory merging from multiple sources and number of files per directory.

I tried the built-in backup from Windows 7 and it works great, actually, but doesn't preserve the directory structure on the server -- it creates new files that only have meaning to Windows.

Anyone else have a recommendation on a solution that I can automated on the clients and which maintains directory structure on the server?

Linux or Windows doesn't matter -- I can install either.

I use genie-soft.com They also recently released Genie Timeline, which works similar to the Apple's Time Capsule, but it only makes sense to use it if you need to keep multiple versions of the same files. I use Genie Backup Manager Professional 8.0. It works pretty well. You have full control of the settings and can customize them in almost any imaginable way (I think they offer a free download to try it).

Back