Looking for AMD Motherboard with two x8 Pcie slots

Kurt Clark

n00b
I see that most entry level to mid level motherboards have 2 PCIE x 16 slots but one has fewer lanes that the other

1 - PCIE x16 slot - runs at x16
1 - PCIE x16 slot - runs at x4

This seems to be due to the fact that entry and midlevel processors like Ryzen 5 2600 or Ryzen 7 1700 have 24 PCIE lanes.

I'm looking for a motherboard that gives equal performance in both slots, preferably x8 on both.
I won't mind x16 on one and x 8 on the other either but I guess this may not be possible since some lanes may be used internally.
I don't think I can configure my existing motherboard(Gigabyte B450M DS3H) to do x8 on both since x4 may be hard wired into the 2nd slot.

Is it possible to configure in this manner or are there mobo's that do x8 on both slots?

Well there are a few entry level ones that can run 8x8 but how entry are you talking,as in price.I bought a MSI X470 Gaming Plus for around $10-$20 bucks on a combo Deal.SO I would say At least X370/X470 should be good here ,unless your talking A320 entry level then I doubt it very much.

Here is a list of AMD Motherboards you can check them out.
https://www.amd.com/en/partner/motherboards

Well there are a few entry level ones that can run 8x8 but how entry are you talking,as in price.I bought a MSI X470 Gaming Plus for around $10-$20 bucks on a combo Deal.SO I would say At least X370/X470 should be good here ,unless your talking A320 entry level then I doubt it very much.

Here is a list of AMD Motherboards you can check them out.
https://www.amd.com/en/partner/motherboards
THis is amazing I'm just checking the specs and see if it fits in my budget. But many thanks for showing me the way.

EDit:
Ok so this look like it is double the price than my current Gigabyte B450 DS3H, but I guess you get what you pay for :)
The data sheet says it has 2 PCIE x16 slots but I'm not getting extra info regarding how many lanes those slots have?
Also if I put in a Ryzen 5 2600 cpu in there that has 24 PCIE lanes, where does the magic happen? Does the X470 chipset add to those lanes?

Last edited:
My Evga x58 3 Way SLi mobo always scores higher in gpu score for FS then my x370 even with a 3600 pushing them .. same gpu 's was used as x58 offers way more bandwidth in that one.. but I now have my MSI Gaming Plus x470 running with Ryzen 3600 and only one RX 570 at the moment but I would test it for you as FS gpu score is where it shows if it's limited .

Also look into the cheap X570s...

Cheapest X570s are in the X470 price range.

THis is amazing I'm just checking the specs and see if it fits in my budget. But many thanks for showing me the way.

EDit:
Ok so this look like it is double the price than my current Gigabyte B450 DS3H, but I guess you get what you pay for :)
The data sheet says it has 2 PCIE x16 slots but I'm not getting extra info regarding how many lanes those slots have?
Also if I put in a Ryzen 5 2600 cpu in there that has 24 PCIE lanes, where does the magic happen? Does the X470 chipset add to those lanes?

most of them are x16/0 or x8/x8 when both slots are used.

for the msi gaming board that was mentioned earlier..

2 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots (PCIE_1, PCIE_4)
1st, 2nd and 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen processors support x16/x0, x8/x8 mode

you can pretty much find the pcie layout specs for every board either on newegg listing specs or the manufactures spec pages.

if price matters, this is one of the cheapest options for what you're looking for.. https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145060?Item=N82E16813145060

but i'd also recommend looking in the FSFT sub forum may be able to find a good deal from people that moved to x570.

After my luck with the 350B boards I own in flashing them as the oldest one was bought in 2017 .. I started looking at refurbished boards and picked this up for $75 and I found noting wrong with it .. booted right off with 2200g and then I flashed it

https://www.newegg.com/msi-performa...g-plus/p/N82E16813144229?Item=N82E16813144229

If you like playing around with switching out cpu's it's a good place to score as every penny saved .. and it's $129 more for the 3700x vs 3600

https://valid.x86.fr/bench/48nwyp/16

Last edited:
X470 manages multiple PCIe x16 slots by running them as x8 each.
Also look into the cheap X570s...

Cheapest X570s are in the X470 price range.

the problem I ran into recently was that the overwhelming majority of the inexpensive X570 boards have the full-length PCIe slots wired as x16/x4, with the x4 slot connected to the chipset. I ended up going X470 solely because of that; all or nearly all of the X470 boards with multiple full-length slots seem to have them as x8/x8 from the CPU

On AM4, thre are only very few that have the option to devide 2 PCIe 3.0 x8. Most are PCIE x16 3.0 + PCIE x4 2.0 and it is the X4 who is going to become less if you use other slots or some second or third M.2. The PCIe X16 becomes most of the time x8 if you use one or two of the M.2 slot. However some X370/470/570 ATX (no microATX) boards seem to have the option of double X8 if you don't use the fastest M.2 slots. Not sure about a couple of B450. One guy at Tomshardware provides with every detail of the AM4 and X399 motherboards and if you look into it, you can see you're most of the time out of luck with AM4 motherboards. It's massively only X16+X4. Of course, if you need multiple X16 and X8 you can't go wrong with X399.
Most of Intel 115x or future 1200 provide 2 x8 when there are 2 PCIe full slots. However it seems X570 provide with X4 PCIE 4.0 instead of PCIe 2.0 for older AM4 boards. That's 4 times more bandwidth and equals PCIe 3.0 x8, so it your card, whatever it is, supports PCIe 4.0 it's the best deal because you keep the first PCIE x16 4.0

X470 manages multiple PCIe x16 slots by running them as x8 each.
the problem I ran into recently was that the overwhelming majority of the inexpensive X570 boards have the full-length PCIe slots wired as x16/x4, with the x4 slot connected to the chipset. I ended up going X470 solely because of that; all or nearly all of the X470 boards with multiple full-length slots seem to have them as x8/x8 from the CPU
Not true about X470. Just look into the specs of the boards. Mostly are wired as x16 3.0, and x4 2.0 to chose between 2 full slots. It's stupid and useless but it is the way they are made, most of them.
X4 from the X570 have much better bandwidth so it's not so catastrophic.
In fact it is clear that nearly all AM4 boards haven't been made with SLI or crossfire in mind, but M.2 or rather PCIe flash cards than second graphics card.

It's sad decision because I still use sata hard drives and there is no real difference between sata SSD and m.2/nvme, even no big adveatage for SSD if you have plenty of RAM which is now cheap (this is why SSD began to count for speed because RAM became so expensive), when I make use of 2 or even 3 graphics cards with no need for huge workstation CPU.

Last edited:
Back