Looking for advice on comperable replacement for Dell U3011s

guavaball

Extremely [H]
I've had these suckers for almost 10 years and they are still working but they are getting dimmer.

I'd like to replace it with another high quality monitor that will last and is bright.

For gaming, most of my stuff is old school. The only new game I've played is Doom. My steady games when I play are smaller titles like Subnautica, Red Alert 3 and planetside.

Don't watch movies on them either.

Also want to avoid curved monitors and looking at 30 or 32 inches

What should I be looking at?

Really want to keep them under 700 a piece unless there is a massive difference in quality.

Is 60hz limitation really that bad?

Direct replacements don't exist; anything *VA will be a downgrade, and there aren't ~30" IPS panels.

27" is much more fruitful, but the DPI really is noticeably higher and you'd need to sit closer for the same legibility.

And after a quick look on Dell's website... you're going to have to make some compromises. Warranty length (and implied durability) seems to oppose features like refresh rates and Freesync / G-Sync, etc, and it gets worse once you stray above 27", including prices that get out of control very quickly.

Your best bets are:
  • Dell UP3017, last in line of Dell's 30" monitors. Same size and resolution as U3011 you have.
  • Dell U3219Q, 32" 4K and closer to your price range

Your best bets are:
  • Dell UP3017, last in line of Dell's 30" monitors. Same size and resolution as U3011 you have.
  • Dell U3219Q, 32" 4K and closer to your price range

Yeah I've been looking at both of those. People just shit all over their gaming performance.

And their tech is a very years old

Do you use the monitor and computer just for gaming, or other uses such as spreadsheet, or even programming?

Yeah I've been looking at both of those. People just shit all over their gaming performance.

And their tech is a very years old

U3219Q certainly is not "very years old" tech. UP3017 is no worse in gaming performance than U3011. But if gaming performance is the main criteria then neither would fit the bill. IdiotInCharge is right then, you should be looking at 27" maximum. Gamer crowd are much more into wide and ultra wide screens (replacement for 2 24" monitors) than into vertical resolution and color accuracy.

U3219Q certainly is not "very years old" tech.
Technically current, if you don't count VRR, but really nothing should be shipping without VRR now. 60Hz is limiting too.

But more is that 4k on 31.5" is... too much for use without scaling.

UP3017 is no worse in gaming performance than U3011
It probably has less input lag, which the U3011 was known for; HP's ZR30w was a better alternative for gaming specifically, still have mine in service here. Still have at least half a dozen U3011s at work too.

But panel response time isn't going to be great. And that's just life.

For me, the 38", 3840x1600 LG 38GL950G-B is the pinnacle of desktop monitors at three times the OP's budget and it's still far from 'perfect'. It's just as close as anyone is going to get.

Though I don't have one, I have considered the UP3017. Yes, it's IPS. Fairly good brightness, but not as good as the smaller ones. 16:10 aspect ratio as the Lord meant it to be. Quite reasonable response time, but 20ms input lag. A few years ago, that would have probably been "good". IMHO, the rest more than makes up for that though.

Edit: But the more I look at the Dells and reviews, seems that their quality has really gone downhill. Dell used to have some really good monitors. Might need to look elsewhere.

Last edited:
Though I don't have one, I have considered the UP3017. Yes, it's IPS. Fairly good brightness, but not as good as the smaller ones. 16:10 aspect ratio as the Lord meant it to be. Quite reasonable response time, but 20ms input lag. A few years ago, that would have probably been "good". IMHO, the rest more than makes up for that though.

Edit: But the more I look at the Dells and reviews, seems that their quality has really gone downhill. Dell used to have some really good monitors. Might need to look elsewhere.

Their monitor division stopped innovating which is really sad because Dell were at the top of the game for a long time. Gaming at 4k is extremely GPU demanding but that's your only option to get higher than 1440p on verticle res.

You obviously care about picture quality a lot, the new LG nano-ips panels are probably the best picture quality 27 inch and they have excellent low input lag and TN like pixel response in a 1440P IPS panel (LG 27GL850-B). LG also makes a new ultrawide with amazing input lag (https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/34gk950f-b)
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gl850-b

If you want a 32 inch 1440p, there aren't many great gaming options sadly. If I were you I'd get something with a high refresh rate. You can have everything your Dell had except 16:10 with the incredibly improved motion clarity of high refresh rate monitors and Freesync/Gsyn and Black Frame Insertion.

You obviously care about picture quality a lot, the new LG nano-ips panels are probably the best picture quality 27 inch and they have excellent low input lag and TN like pixel response in a 1440P IPS panel (LG 27GL850-B).

LG is certainly one I'd look at. I have two of their 27" 1440p on my desk at work, and I like them. I feel they could be better, but they are definitely not bad.

Back