Looking for advice on a trade

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
So, I'm not going to mention the user, because we aren't having any trouble or tension. This isn't a complaint or a rant. I'm just trying to be fair. So I shipped a complete tower and removed the HSF so it wouldn't damage anything. That was packed separately. I had 4 8 GB Corsair DDR3 memory chips, and one isn't working. The buyer wasn't sure if it arrived damaged or if it happened in the reseating, but there didn't seem to be any physical damage...nothing that could be documented through a photo unfortunately. So, of the 32 GB I sent, which was working, only 24 GB is available now. The buyer says they are fine with 24 GB, because it is overkill for the system's use anyway.

The buyer is basically yielding to me, so I wanted to see what you all would do. I'm assuming UPS would want documentation and photos showing the damage. I don't know if they would handle a partial claim, like refunding some portion of the insured amount. I was toying around with maybe offering the buyer $25 refunded through PayPal to cover the cost of that one memory chip.

I want to be fair to all parties, myself included, so what would you do? Again, I want to stress, the buyer isn't complaining or giving me any issues. He's being cool about it, so I want to be fair in return.

Corsair RAM has a pretty good warranty, if you or them can submit for a warranty claim then $25 would more than cover RMA shipping plus a little hassle. I think that's reasonable.

Would that matter if I don't have the original receipts? I may have gotten it off eBay quite some time ago.

Has he verified it is the mem stick and not the slot?

Good point. And good on you OP for offering something to make him whole even though he's being amiable. He did, after all, pay for 32GB even if he won't use all of it. He might just choose to pocket the money and use it for something else, which is obviously fine too. I'd be OK with getting a slightly better deal on the system if I wasn't going to need all of the memory.

Yes, I believe he has pulled the memory and swapped slots and chips to pinpoint exactly what the issue is. Thanks for the feedback!

Would that matter if I don't have the original receipts? I may have gotten it off eBay quite some time ago.

Corsair warranty policy now requires the original receipt. I tried to RMA a stick of DDR3 that I bought from a local Fry's Electronics but I don't have the receipt anymore, and it was denied. The interesting bit was that I lived less than 10 minutes from Corsair HQ, and the Fry's Electronics was around the corner as well, but no cigar. Trying to support local businesses but it didn't work for me.

Back