Looking for advice on a possible MOBO and CPU upgrade

4LC4PON3

DERP!
This is an important question to me at least. It seems as if everyone on other forums are telling me I should drop my 3770 & go with a 3770K or a 4770K or even a 4670K.

Here is my question hopefully someone can answer Should I keep my current MOBO / CPU or Should I ditch them and upgrade.

I understand my Mobo does not support usb 3.0 or sata 6 & I am upgrading my mech HDD to a 250GB samsung EVO SSD. So Should I keep my 3770 & do a possible Z77 board upgrade OR Should I ditch my 3770 and buy a new CPU & board.

I do alot of gaming & will be running a 780

i7 3770 (NON-K)

P8H61-M PRO
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H61M/

I have that CPU and am very happy with it. It will overclock to 4.2 or 4.3 pretty easy. I have used it in the Asus P8Z77V-LK which is what I would recommend to you, it is one of the fastest from zero to Win 7 up and ready that I have ever experienced. I currently have that CPU in a Z77 Sabertooth which is also quite good but not really worth the extra money unless there are other features that you are looking for.

thanks Any other board you would suggest over ASUS. I have had a few RMAs with asus that has not gone so well.

Yeah on other forums they keep telling me to junk the 3770 cause its not great & obviously its not a K version. Id rather keep the CPU as I know its going to be good for gaming for along while and just upgrade the board since as I said my board does not support much. I want to upgrade to a nice SSD but I dont want to gimp speeds with this current board

The RMA process is a PITA with any MB vendor. In my experience I have had less problems with Asus boards than some of the other brands. If pushed my second choice is Gigabyte.

+1 Tom_S - the LK is an awesome overlooked mobo.
I've deployed 100's of them as demo kits.

Last edited:
Back