Looking for a way to simulate an internet connection over LAN

Loki008

2[H]4U
I have to test a few things in terms of performance over an internet link and rather than use an off network machine it would be nice if there was a way to throttle the LAN connection to various speeds. I did some quick googling and really was only hitting results for router QoS and ISPs that were throtting (probably not searching for the right terms) so i figured i would stop over here and see if anyone has any suggestions. Does anyone know of an application that will allow you to set the speed of a network connection, preferably between 1.5 and 10mbps.

Thanks

first things first, we need to know what type of device we're trying to throttle. switch, computer/server?

a desktop PC, either Windows XP or Windows 7. I understand it is more likely that there will be an XP app for this, however if there is a vista app i do have a few windows 7 machines i can use.

A quick google leads me to belive that iperf is used for testing and tweaking of network connections, it doesnt look like i can use it to throttle a 100mb connection down to 1.5mbps.
Vito posted you a very valid solution, check it out. If you're looking for something in-line network but not on the edge, bluecoat makes a pretty decent[shitty] product. Any comments James[lightworker]?

Vito posted you a very valid solution, check it out. If you're looking for something in-line network but not on the edge, bluecoat makes a pretty decent[shitty] product. Any comments James[lightworker]?

Thanks, i actually missed his comment as it was posted as i was posting mine.

I will take a look at netlimiter

Do you want to only limit throughput or are you looking at also introducing some artificial latency as well? For example, on most managed switches you can limit the ingress and egress bandwidth of individual ports to emulate "The Internet", but your ping times from host to host would still be in the sub 1ms ranges.

If you're looking to test some Internet app you may also need to find a way to introduce some latency to see how it behaves under "true" Internet scenarios.

Thanks!!
Riley

The BlueCoat shaping gear is for enterprise wan optimization and while it could shape his traffic to whatever speed he likes, the costs are probably way out of the ballpark here.

For what it's worth, if you want to simulate a lousy connection, you could just hard-set your NIC speed to 10MB Half Duplex and be done with it.

Back