Looking for a system that'll email or sms on a motion alert trigger.

acesea

Limp Gawd
Any cameras or recording software that will push out realtime notification of events?

Anyone have experience with or heard of purpose built motion devices, security cameras or nvr/dvr software or hardware that'll send email or other communication on motion alerts?

Ubiquiti has a new line called mFi that has motion detectors and door sensors. I have not used it but it looks neat. Lots of guys on here are pretty happy with their products.

http://www.ubnt.com/mfi

Thanks for the info on the mfi, never noticed that line of products before. They don't look outdoor ready but I might be able to securely mount it under a roof and keep the elements away.

The application will be near some outdoor entrance doors as well as perimeter area.

Last edited:
/usr/home & schnell: Much thanks for the info on mfi- will get some.

Sp33dFr33k, have you tested any of the dlink or other products and can recommend any that function reliably? Do the dlink cams send the email notification from the ip cam or does the management pc software perform that function?

I never tested motion detection features before since I've always continuously recorded all my ip cam setups until now someone specifically asked for the email notification feature.

Tonight I did some testing of Axis ip cameras, a Windows 7 machine, and the following freshly downloaded software:

Axis Camera Station Client v3.54.023 provides easy setup of outgoing smtp email servers, event configuration and sending email attachments to several recipients (including cc & bcc) including picture (forced resolution 1/2) on motion triggers. The action also provides an option not to send another email for 1, 5, 30, or 60 minutes.

Blue Iris v3.10.17 provides easy setup of outgoing smtp email servers, event configuration and sending email attachments to several recipients including picture or 10 sec MP4 movie on motion triggers. The action provides the option of scaling resolution and quality %, also provides an option not to send another email for X.X minutes. In addition, there's the ability to configure sending SMS text messages using an outgoing smtp server, specifying a phone number, and selecting a cell carrier and it populates the gateway service. I successfully sent texts over TMobile. More interesting triggers include the ability to use the computer's modem port to call a phone number and play a pre-recorded wav file.

Ubiquiti airVision 1.1.3 provides easy setup of outgoing smtp email servers but the software's only compatible with Ubiquiti cams which I did not receive yet. System Settings provided the option to Enable Connection Alerts and send emails for device connection/disconnections and to
Enable Motion Alerts and send emails for motion recordings. I was not able to test these features yet and don't know what attachments if any can be included.

Will inspect Zoneminder triggers on linux another time.

Last edited:
yes, zoneminder does this as well...

building several zoneminder rigs right now actually...

do yourself a favor, if you're using analog cards, get yourself a bluecherry... and get a plenty beefy system if you want to use zoneminder

Back