Looking for a small thin laptop for "on-call" (RDP, securecrt, word, excel) duty, good screen

alkemyst

Limp Gawd
Looking for a small compact laptop purely for my on-call duties (network engineer so browers, RDP, secureCRT, word, excel, light weight stuff). I want a nice screen and keyboard. Something cheap as I am also looking for a 14-15" workhorse.

I have a nice 17" HP Envy but it weighs a ton and the keyboard sucks (K200T model).

Thanks

i dont know the models, i was thinking a M4800 or W530/540 for a workhorse type laptop (I have a main desktop) and just something lightweight so if I am out and about and a customer calls I can jump on and get the problem solved.

You can get older gen Lenovo X1 Carbon for pretty cheap. For MBP 13 there isn't much difference from 2013 to 2015. I had a 2015 before it got stolen and replaced it with a 2013, practically the same computer. Heavier than the X1 Carbon though, but the screen is better on the MBP.

Look at the Dell outlet shop ... the XPS 13 or 15 should be right up your alley. I run a year / two old 13 XPS and it still works great.

looking for low cost, maybe $200-300. I saw some new x1 carbons for $700-750 a generation or two older. I may go for that and skip a second heavier (W530 type) laptop for more serious work.

I have a Lenovo X240 I still use for exactly what you are describing. Toss in an SSD, Mint Linux and you are ready to go.

Still looking, X240 may be a little light on horsepower...I do love those machines though. Really leaning toward snagging a deal on a X1 Carbon or Extreme.

Any of the X Series will work. I just said 240 cause I have one lol. I love how the thing can lay flat.

Back