Looking for a sleek, potent 15" laptop; any suggestions?

Harb

Limp Gawd
I'm in the market for a sleek, stylish, powerful 15" laptop. I want something that is built solidly, has at least average mobility (regarding weight and battery life), and that looks as good as it performs. It doesn't have to be in the uber-gaming or desktop replacement category, but I don't want to feel restrained by my hardware when doing normal day to day stuff and some moderate gaming.

I have absolutely zero interest in big plastic horrors like Alienware systems or Asus's gaming laptop offerings, regardless of the performance. I'm in love with the general idea behind HP's Envy line of laptops (a sophisticated, powerful package that ISN'T a Mac), but upon closer inspection each model shoots itself in the foot with various shortcomings. The Envy 15 is currently #1 on my shortlist, but there are a few things about it that make me wonder if it's the right one for me; for example - no USB 3.0 on Core i5 models, no edge-to-edge glass screen, no backlit keyboard. It just feels like HP came extremely close with that system, but missed the mark just a bit.

The general ballpark I'm considering is rougly $1500, give or take 200-300 in either direction. Hardware wise, I'm looking to get something along the lines of a Core i5 (or cheaper i7 - I don't need a quad core) system with higher-end graphics such as a Radeon 58xx or thereabouts. A 1080p edge-to-edge glass display is a must, as that lack of that is one of my biggest disappointments with the Envy 15.

Ultimately, this system will be acting as a compliment to the desktop system listed in my signature. My desktop will always be my fallback for the most extreme of tasks, but I need a laptop to get me through the day while away from home. The most common tasks it'll be performing are web browsing, MS Office use for class, watching movies on the go, and moderate gaming with current and near-future titles (nothing crazy like Crysis or Crysis 2, but Starcraft 2 and current mainstream titles will be played).
Battery life is important; it HAS to be able to last at least 3 hours or so while running Office and browsing the internet during class. Battery life during video playback and gaming isn't as important as I can plug in if I'm sitting down for a game or movie.

If anyone has any suggestions given the above rough parameters, I'm all ears. I don't doubt that the Envy 15 would fill my needs adequately, but I can't help but wonder if there is something out there that is even closer to what I want.

(also, just on the off chance someone was going to suggest one: I am not at all interested in buying a Mac. Ever.)

Some sort of Dell Studio laptop. The Studio 15 looks like it fits your bill. The Studio XPS 16 is also an option.

does it have to be a 15"? what about the Envy 17. I do not recall them stating the envy14 will have usb3.0, but the envy17 will.

Personally I would say avoid any and all consumer level crap and go for either a Dell Latitude E6400 series machine with dedicated graphics or an HP EliteBook or ProBook based on what you need. Consumer level stuff just irritates me nowadays and I have simply stopped recommending it ever.

The problem is that you can't get a edge-to-edge glossy screen with a business laptop. If it weren't for that I'd definitely recommend a Thinkpad W510 or a Dell Precision M4500.

But yeah, once you use a business notebook it's pretty hard to go back to consumer.

does it have to be a 15"? what about the Envy 17. I do not recall them stating the envy14 will have usb3.0, but the envy17 will.

Doesn't have to be 15", but that seems to be the sweet spot for the comprimise between mobility and performance. The Envy 17 is a damn nice system, but it's too large for my needs.

Thanks for the input everyone...I hadn't considered a Dell, but looking at their Studio systems seem worth looking into.

What would the advantage of an elitebook be over something like the envy 14? Is it just the business support? I'm having a difficult time learning about the elitebook line, the official website HP elitebook website is simply a pain to figure out.

From experience, with business class laptops:

-Better build quality
-HDD protection (irrelevant with SSD)
-Matte screens
-Better keyboards(sometimes)
-Pointing stick (usually)
-Generally better support
-Lack of preinstalled junk software

Consider a Dell XPS16? It has an great edge-to-edge 1080P screen, backlit keyboard, better-than-average build quality, slot loading DVD and is pretty light.

Only nit is that it doesn't have USB3, but you should be able to get a express card to USB3.0 adapter for $50 or so.

Other than that, another choice could be the VAIO E/F.

Back