Looking for a simple text editor that I can run a compiler/interpreter from

BobTheSlob

Limp Gawd
Something like a fully integrated IDE but I don't need all those features.

I'd like tabbed browsing and all I want is a button that compiles all the files I'm working on and runs one. Is there anything simple like that or do I have to get a big ole IDE? I'm working with Java. I know eclipse is out there but maybe something smaller. I just want one step up from having to type in "javac xxx" for like 4 files every time I want to run a large project.

Thanks

If you're really working on a "large product", I would recommend taking advantage of a more full-featured Java IDE such as Eclipse, Netbeans, IntelliJ IDEA, etc. The native language features these programs are enabled with go far and beyond anything you might find in a more generic text editor, such as Vim or Emacs.

Well I ended up using JCreator for now.

As an example of what I'm looking for, has anyone ever used Geany? You just hit "compile" and it compiles the text files you are working on and runs them. That's all it does and it's great. Maybe I'll just code in Linux..

As far as I know, your only real choices are a "weak" IDE or a text editor that you put a bit of work into in order to get it setup. Vim and Emacs will both allow you to do this stuff with a bit of configuration, as will programs like Kdevelop (linux only so far as I know).

Personally, I just end up using Eclipse for Java because I'm lazy but I can't tolerate how sluggish it is for smaller projects/other languages.

You can try JEdit with the "Console" plugin. It's a basic, free Java text editor which can compile and run through the plugin.

I have also heard some people recommend Edit Pd Pro, though I haven't tried it myself.

Editpad Pro is really nice if you are looking for a full-featured text editor, but I have not used it for any real coding. They have a Lite version you can try as well....

My only complaint with it is that there is no longer a linux version and it turns the cursor into a big black square when run in Wine.

Back