Looking for a set of good desktop speakers. Budget $300

Tych-0

Gawd
Hello, I'm hoping somebody knowledgeable on the subject can recommend me some great sounding speakers for my desktop. I have a decent amount of space on my desktop but I would prefer to keep them small-medium in size. Sub or no sub? I don't have a set preference just as long as they sound good. Primary usage is gaming and listening to music.

Thanks

The Audioengine A2s are a good "large" desktop size, still way smaller than something like a normal 6" woofer studio monitor... They have a few different input options and I believe a front port headphone out, and are $249

You could also go with an SMSL amp such as their Q5 PRO which is a DAC/AMP combo and run any of the various good passives on the market such as the ELAC B5s, Pioneer sb22s are often on sale, or the Infinity Primus series...

I own the ELACs and theyre pretty large, but their sound is absolutely phenomenal at this price range. The Pioneers are not as clear, have a bit more (maybe too much) bass, but can sound really good if isolated correctly, and are also $100 less. I have installed small Primuses (Primii?) for a few home theater systems two years ago when I did that and they sounded super, dont know what the model numbers are now but check out harman kardon/jbl/infiniti's b stock site to see if theres any sales and also Amazon always sells last years models at a great discount.

ETA - also someone in for sale is selling JBL 305s for $220 shipped, thats an outstanding deal and you wouldnt need an amp as they are active (like the Audioengines) - i use these in my home studio and they are almost perfect speakers...

The Primus bookshelves are hard to find, lately. Maybe discontinued? There are comparable speakers from Polk, JBL, Pioneer worth a look.

Fry's occasionally has them on sell for pretty cheap. I got the P363 floorstanders for like $220/pair during one the 1 day sales they are always doing.

Here's what they have today....thats $100 for the PAIR of bookshelfs. But at 4" you will want a sub.

p8SahNY.jpg

Last edited:
Fry's occasionally has them on sell for pretty cheap. I got the P363 floorstanders for like $220/pair during one the 1 day sales they are always doing.

Here's what they have today....thats $100 for the PAIR of bookshelfs. But at 4" you will want a sub.

p8SahNY.jpg

I'm surprised you like floorstanders as desktop speakers. I had some Polks for a while but I felt they were too much as they aren't really meant to be nearfield speakers. They sounded better to me when I was 5-10 feet away, rather than having them 2 feet from my face next to my desk, but I don't know what your desktop setup is like either.

I'm surprised you like floorstanders as desktop speakers. I had some Polks for a while but I felt they were too much as they aren't really meant to be nearfield speakers. They sounded better to me when I was 5-10 feet away, rather than having them 2 feet from my face next to my desk, but I don't know what your desktop setup is like either.

Got me! The person I was quoting was using them for his TV, as am I. Ya floorstanders would be awkward for desktops. Especially when you have drivers running the height of the enclosure. If they were just at the very top (like a tweeter and single woofer), then I think it would be ok if positioned behind the desk.

Back