Looking for a service similar to Dropbox

leh18621

[H]ard|Gawd
I hope I posted this in the correct section of this site. Anyways, I am looking for a file sharing site similar to Dropbox. We have people at work that use Dropbox but I was told that another department wants something more secure.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I should add that they are only looking to use this for about 3-4 months, so something with a monthly fee (as opposed to a yearly fee ) would be best if that is possible.

Last edited:
We use ShareFile at work. We have it deployed on our network, but you can use their storage and pay less.

I appreciate all the responses, gives myself (and my boss) a starting point. I have been doing searches online and there are a lot of these types of services available, you just don't have any clue which ones are really good.

Seafile is an opensource solution that can be self hosted. I have been using it for about a month now quite successfully

I've deployed OwnCloud at a couple locations and I use it at home. We may roll this out in house in the next few months. OwnCloud is free and is pretty nice.

AeroFS

Just like dropbox but self-hosted

How is this better than drop box when they charge $10/MONTH for YOU to host it yourself???
https://aerofs.com/pricing

AND:
"While a
ll the files are
stored locally and encrypted in transit, the
management interface is hosted in the cloud"

I'd LOVE to ditch DROPBOX completely and switch to a self hosted solution :D :D
But I'd rather PAY per-server (install) than per-user since they're MY users, on MY server.

Last edited:
Logmein Cubby - Allows you to host files without using logmein servers. This is also dirt cheap and allows you to seed your data if you have large amounts of data you need to move when doing peer-to-peer.

BiTorrent just released an application as well that does peer-to-peer hosting. No user accounts required, just uses generated key-pair.

How is this better than drop box when they charge $10/MONTH for YOU to host it yourself???
https://aerofs.com/pricing

AND:
"While a
ll the files are
stored locally and encrypted in transit, the
management interface is hosted in the cloud"

I'd LOVE to ditch DROPBOX completely and switch to a self hosted solution :D :D
But I'd rather PAY per-server (install) than per-user since they're MY users, on MY server.

relax..

I dont pay a thing, i have my home office desktop, laptop, my work laptop, my tablet, and my phone all connected to it. read it a little more carefully. this can run in a private network no internet required if need be.

relax..

I dont pay a thing, i have my home office desktop, laptop, my work laptop, my tablet, and my phone all connected to it. read it a little more carefully. this can run in a private network no internet required if need be.

It clearly stated the management portion is hosted in the cloud.

Yes, I see there is a free version but what use is a free version for <3 users when you are used to dropbox and sharing with 10+ users ;)

Their free version may work fine for syncing your own files with your own laptop,desktop, etc, but not for business usage.

It clearly stated the management portion is hosted in the cloud.

Yes, I see there is a free version but what use is a free version for <3 users when you are used to dropbox and sharing with 10+ users ;)

Their free version may work fine for syncing your own files with your own laptop,desktop, etc, but not for business usage.

It depends on how you coin your terms. Each network can have a network share linked directly to this synced folder on the local server machine with further folders seperate by any given genre of criteria. I know I could use it efficiently across my network over our backhaul PtPs very effectively seeing as we have 3.

Overall, I agree that you are right about the impractical use of business. Keep in mind his post wasn't very clear for the specific use and that he could indeed get away with as little as a network share as far as we know.

With that said ... What is the intended use that network shares limit? Does this need to be deployed on work-at-home computers? If so, how many? What is the need for the immediacy of sync on assumingly large files?

If I can avoid 3rd party at any cost I do my best. I have an FTP server located at 2 head end buildings for critical office data varying from employess to customers, and backups to random files. I do not use anything like dropbox for business bc of privacy concerns regardless of their statements.

It depends on how you coin your terms. Each network can have a network share linked directly to this synced folder on the local server machine with further folders seperate by any given genre of criteria. I know I could use it efficiently across my network over our backhaul PtPs very effectively seeing as we have 3.

Overall, I agree that you are right about the impractical use of business. Keep in mind his post wasn't very clear for the specific use and that he could indeed get away with as little as a network share as far as we know.

With that said ... What is the intended use that network shares limit? Does this need to be deployed on work-at-home computers? If so, how many? What is the need for the immediacy of sync on assumingly large files?

If I can avoid 3rd party at any cost I do my best. I have an FTP server located at 2 head end buildings for critical office data varying from employess to customers, and backups to random files. I do not use anything like dropbox for business bc of privacy concerns regardless of their statements.

We use dropbox for web projects / files with contractors and it's really handy for that.

We don't need the "web" interface or features dropbox offers, just the sync :) I'd imagine there has to be something like that out there!

check out Varonis DATANYWHERE.

New to market, solid company behind it tho. You self host the software/management/storage.

or box.com

only other enterprise dropbox style app i have experience with in the workplace.

box.net does many enterprise things dropbox doesn't (much better user management). We switched a while back because of security concerns with dropbox, as well as some serious bugs that they seemed to have no interest in fixing.

At LISA a few years ago I brought up several bugs to a dropbox dev, asking why I couldn't control users data directly as an admin (if it was hidden from me), and that I had concerns about data that was "un-deletable" within our account (even the user who created it lost control of it). He said "Bummer, you're not our target audience" and acted like I wasn't there when I asked more.

I also have an OwnCloud install internally that seems to be working well so far.

You have to remember you get what you pay for, very true with a lot of these services.

Back