looking for a router with 802.1x/PEAP authentication support

As the topic states, I am trying to find a router that can authenticate TO a server that requires PEAP authentication. I don't even know if such a thing exists... :-x

But in either case let me try to explain the background of my situation and what I am trying to do.
I just recently moved back in to dorms at my college after a semester of living at home. I decided to bring my newly built rig to school with me. When I plugin my wired connection for my laptop (so that I could send in the information (MAC addresses) of my router+new desktop) I see that I need some sort of verification. I did some asking around and find out that my school had implemented PEAP authentication to both wired and wireless networks. At this point I figure out how to get my laptop up and running on the network (so that, at the very least I have *something* to get online with)
Now, I tried following my schools documentation for wired PEAP again on my desktop ( http://www.stevens.edu/it/documentation/files/Set_up_802.1x_wired_with_Windows_XP_Util-1.pdf ) however, on my desktop there is no Authentication tab in my connection properties.
So, after that, I try to see if I can just use my router (relatively old) and split a connection with the NAT gateway. But, it would not grab an IP address (99% sure its because it cant authenticate with the PEAP on the server).

if any of you know of routers that can authenticate to a server that uses PEAP could you possibly tell me the make/model/approx price (US Dollar). or, if any of you know how to get my current one to authenticate, that would be great (even if it required a third party firmware).

making my laptop into a NAT gateway is not really an option because I bring this laptop to class with me and I do some things that require me to keep a consistent connection up (well, i did, before i moved back into my school's dorms).

some extra information that may help people help me out:
The router I was trying to use was a Belkin wireless cable/dsl gateway router (F5D6231-4)
my desktop is running windows xp pro x64 edition. the NIC that i'm using is the integrated one on the eVGA Nforce4 SLI motherboard

Thanks,
Marc L.

Understand that your request..... maybe be against the forum rules (bypass security). However, I'll let the Mods decide which is which.

Now to answer your question, I doubt there is any non-pc device that can authenticate using 802.1x (only exception being printers, some barcode scanners/pda devices).

Your only option really is to get it working with a PC and to use ICS or other NATing software.

I'm not sure if 802.1x works on x64. Assuming you have xp sp2 running, go to services and look for wireless zero config service. This service usually is used with wireless devices, however, it also handles the authentication pieces. Make sure this is running and you should see the 802.1x tabs on your PC.

Good Luck!

I dont think that its bypassing security since i still want to authenticate with the PEAP using my credentials (username/password). Its not like I want to get around it and login "anonymously". But, like you said, its something that the mods will determine on their own.

In either case, thank you for pointing out that the authentication things are in the wireless zero config service. I guess i went a bit overboard disabling services. I suppose that this will be a sufficient temporary fix since there is one free network port in my room (roommate uses *only* wireless for whatever reason)

Back